The Student Room Group

Previous Part Time Study

Hi all,

I just have a few queries to ask.

I have been part time studying with the open university since 2011. Well, I have been signed up since then, but I have only completed 90 credits so far, which isn't enough for any qualification yet. I haven't had any student finance before, and any extra fees for the modules I have completed have been funded by myself. I literally only started this course to help me decide what to study in the future lol. I have a conditional offer for a full time course elsewhere now.. My question is, Am I eligible for any funding for my new course? I am a little confused by the previous study criteria.

Also, I made an application in 2011 for a university course, though I didn't send in evidence and complete the application. I withdrew from the course before it started because I was having personal problems back then. Will this cause me any problems?

Thank you! :smile:
Hi Stacey,

as your previous is of part time study and you did not achieve a qualification then your previous study would not be considered when assessing your future funding. You would therefore be eligible for full funding and you can apply as normal online using your customer reference details.

Thanks
Reply 2
Hi Mark, thanks for replying. :smile:

I got a letter yesterday saying I was only eligible for a final year of funding because of three years of previous study. It says I cannot get anything until year 3 of my course which is unfortunate.

I don't really know what to do from this point. I told SFE that when I went to university (Sept 2014) I would have enough credits to qualify for a HNC or equivalent. I understand that one year was of funding was going to be knocked off because my first 90 credits were studied in one year (which is full time, i think). That was 2011/12.. I thought that would of left me with 3 years left (enough for my new course). I think I have read a thread on here from a guy who was in a similiar position, and he got funding in this situation.

In 2012/13 I studied one module part time (60 credit). In 2013/14 I have studied another module part time (60 credit) - I haven't finished this module yet. In total, that would give me 210 credits, if I pass, by September. Is the overall total the reason for this situation?

One last question :smile: .. If I completed a foundation degree with the open university, would I be able to get funding to top it up? Technically that would require another year to study 30 credits (because Its too late to sign up to the final module I need this year) and judging by whats happened already with SFE, I would have used my final year of funding on that. :sigh:

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending