Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So basically am an UK citizen born in Leeds West Yorkshire England. Unfortunately when i was about 12-13 years old my parents separated due certain reasons. So i went away with my mother to Australia because she had family there and it was the choice of both my parents, i didn't see it as a permanent move away because almost every i was returning back to Leeds to see my father and spend a few months with him. When i was 18 years old which was last year i was able to return fully with my father in Leeds. This year am about to start my first year of University and my dad is not in a position to pay for my tuition fees. Am thinking of applying for student finance since am UK citizen but after reading that you have to be in the Uk 3 years prior to the start of your course to be granted financial help. So am not entirely sure due to my situation whether i will be granted because i wasn't really staying the Uk and i wasn't really staying in Australia. I would love whatever help anyone could give because i would really like to start this year.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Leon,

That's correct, you do have to have been in the UK for three years prior to your course starting unless you can prove that when you were abroad, that it was of a temporary nature.

A temporary break means that you have essentially broken the three years residency requirements but if you can prove that it was a temporary break in residency and that you were always planning on returning to the UK.

A temporary break can be a gap year, holiday, voluntary work overseas or that your parents were working abroad on a temporary contract of employment.

If you fall under one of the above categories, acceptable evidence that can be sent in is; A letter from the Higher Education Institute confirming your gap year, a letter from your employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates, a contract of employment showing that the employment was of a temporary nature, temporary visas or work permits in addition to the above.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. So, would the names of both my parents on the billing letters be acceptable evidence to send in to prove a temporary break and will the stamps on my passport be acceptable too.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.