The Student Room Group

Student eligibility

So basically am an UK citizen born in Leeds West Yorkshire England. Unfortunately when i was about 12-13 years old my parents separated due certain reasons. So i went away with my mother to Australia because she had family there and it was the choice of both my parents, i didn't see it as a permanent move away because almost every i was returning back to Leeds to see my father and spend a few months with him. When i was 18 years old which was last year i was able to return fully with my father in Leeds. This year am about to start my first year of University and my dad is not in a position to pay for my tuition fees. Am thinking of applying for student finance since am UK citizen but after reading that you have to be in the Uk 3 years prior to the start of your course to be granted financial help. So am not entirely sure due to my situation whether i will be granted because i wasn't really staying the Uk and i wasn't really staying in Australia. I would love whatever help anyone could give because i would really like to start this year.
Hi Leon,

That's correct, you do have to have been in the UK for three years prior to your course starting unless you can prove that when you were abroad, that it was of a temporary nature.

A temporary break means that you have essentially broken the three years residency requirements but if you can prove that it was a temporary break in residency and that you were always planning on returning to the UK.

A temporary break can be a gap year, holiday, voluntary work overseas or that your parents were working abroad on a temporary contract of employment.

If you fall under one of the above categories, acceptable evidence that can be sent in is; A letter from the Higher Education Institute confirming your gap year, a letter from your employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates, a contract of employment showing that the employment was of a temporary nature, temporary visas or work permits in addition to the above.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. So, would the names of both my parents on the billing letters be acceptable evidence to send in to prove a temporary break and will the stamps on my passport be acceptable too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending