The Student Room Group

My mum is forcing me to pray.

I don't even believe in the religion but I know that if I tell her she will beat me, I don't want what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For starters, if you don't want to chat to her imaginary friend tell her so.

If she beats you call child line.
Smh
I don't understand why some parents feel the need to force their religion on their kids. Sure they can force you to pray but they can't force you to believe in it.

If you think she will beat you, just pretend and pray? :redface:
Reply 3
She makes me read it out with her and she did shout at me when I had to pray with her right now because I kept on fidgeting. The only reason she makes me pray is because she believes its the way for her to get into heaven, she doesn't even want it for the benefit of me. And I hate it so much, I can't even say anything to her because she's not like normal parents who would just accept it and move on. I still remember when I was learning to read the Qu'ran and she slapped me because I pronounced something wrong, then I was crying and she kept shouting at me to continue reading and I was so scared.
I'd suggest waiting it out until you move out and then go join the disbelievers in whatever they do nowadays.

Keeps a roof over your head in the meantime.
Reply 5
How old are you?
Reply 6
Original post by Paralove
How old are you?

I'm 16 years old
Is there someone in your family you can talk to about how you feel and that can give you some advice? It is very wrong of your mother to be forcing you to pray.
tell her to go mind her own business
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by moment of truth
Is there someone in your family you can talk to about how you feel and that can give you some advice? It is very wrong of your mother to be forcing you to pray.
My family are Pakistani Muslim and they're all pretty religious as well I don't really trust anyone in my family by telling them this. I know they will judge me and then probably tell my mum as well
Reply 10
This is really sad, you should tell her you don't believe in her religion. Or since you're apprehensive about how she'll take it, maybe just hint that you are having mixed feelings about your religion and don't really believe in values such as praying. Good luck.
Original post by puregirl21
My family are Pakistani Muslim and they're all pretty religious as well I don't really trust anyone in my family by telling them this. I know they will judge me and then probably tell my mum as well

Ah okay, I hope your situation improves sometime soon.
Reply 12
I'm 16 years old

What your mother is doing is child abuse with the beating. She shouldn't be forcing you to pray either, but other than getting external help there is little to suggest as it is obvious your mother and family will not respect your beliefs. Have you spoken to friends and school staff?
I'm sorry for you. That really sucks.
Reply 14
She really needs to **** off but it's not that simple. If she threatens to beat you up that's child abuse and seeing as you're 16 (I doubt you can move out on your own or provide for yourself, she's in a position of responsibility) I think you should make a phone call to the child abuse line. Parents are supposed to protect and let you come to your own decisions. I don't know if she's a good parent as I've only read what you have said but based on this she sounds toxic.
Reply 15
I don't even believe in the religion but I know that if I tell her she will beat me, I don't want what to do :frown:

It's not possible to force someone to believe. This is in itself attested to in the Qur'an. Tell your mum to look up these verses. Im a muslim and frankly its not really my business if you believe or not but what your mum is doing is against the teachings of Islam and the example of the Prophet Muhammed and his pure family.

"Let there be no compulsion in (matters of) religion" - [2:256] Quran

"And say, "The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve."" - [18:29] Quran

"[And so,] exhort them; your task is only to exhort. You can not compel them [to believe].] " - [88:21-22] Quran

I hope this helps sister and if theres anything else you need PM me.
Reply 16

She cant force you, whatever the matter and if she beats you thats abuse. You have free will, Im Muslim and no one can force religion upon you. Call authorities or an uncle etc..
Reply 17

Praying won't kill you so why not just do it? Once you leave home you can do what you want. But do tell her that she can't beat religion into you.

So?

What's the big deal?

Is taking out that 10 mins or whatever really going to affect you that much? Are you so busy in life that these 10 odd mins will affect your whole existence? You'd probably just be sitting watching TV instead.

I don't see why you don't just do it. If you don't believe in it, so what, there's no harm just sitting there. If it doesn't negatively affect you at all and there is a chance that it could positively affect you if the religion is correct, then why not just shut up and do it.
Reply 19
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
tell her to go mind her own business

ok sure go tell a parent who'd beat you for not praying to mind their own business

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending