The Student Room Group

Sex after marriage?

Nowadays, most couples will have sex within weeks of knowing each other and this is a norm - I know that due to cultural and religious reasons even if I was in a relationship with a guy, I wouldn't have sex with him until we were married..
This just makes me think how many guys out there would wait on having sex until they were married and if they didn't have sex whilst being in the dating stages of a relationship, would they leave the girl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Marriage is a meaningless and overvalued concept.

Despite that, I might go a month or two before progressing things sexually.
humans are conditioned to have sex early, and due to the average age for marriage becoming higher more people are likely to have sex out of marriage. Sex is vital to a healthy relationship however if someone truly loves you they'll stick with you, they might get a bit sexually frustrated though
Reply 3
Probably most wouldn't wait. Why should they? It's completely illogical to presumably wait years, make a life time commitment by marrying someone, and only then explore an important part of the relationship. Frankly the only reasons people do that kind of thing is A) religious nonsense or B) thinks it makes them better than everyone else.

Nobody is saying is has to be done within a few weeks, but as far as I'm concerned those who insist on waiting for marriage need to get their heads out their backside. Sex is natural - more natural than marriage as it happens.
Reply 4
If this is a cultural and religious issue, why not consider an arranged marriage?
Depends on how much the guy cares
Reply 6
Original post by M1011
Probably most wouldn't wait. Why should they? It's completely illogical to presumably wait years, make a life time commitment by marrying someone, and only then explore an important part of the relationship. Frankly the only reasons people do that kind of thing is A) religious nonsense or B) thinks it makes them better than everyone else.

Nobody is saying is has to be done within a few weeks, but as far as I'm concerned those who insist on waiting for marriage need to get their heads out their backside. Sex is natural - more natural than marriage as it happens.

Well that's not generalised at all. I never take this attitude to others whose opinions about sex differ from my own. Yes, I am waiting primarily for religious reasons, but I also know that it is what I would be most comfortable with in myself and make me most happy - I thought doing what makes you happy is good? I do agree that sex is more 'natural' than marriage but that does not make marriage a bad thing. A lot of things we have in society may not be 'natural' but are beneficial. I just think this was put a bit brashly, but I accept your difference in opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by lollollollollol1
Nowadays, most couples will have sex within weeks of knowing each other and this is a norm - I know that due to cultural and religious reasons even if I was in a relationship with a guy, I wouldn't have sex with him until we were married..
This just makes me think how many guys out there would wait on having sex until they were married and if they didn't have sex whilst being in the dating stages of a relationship, would they leave the girl?

Personally I think I'm gonna wait..
Reply 8
Original post by Alice_95
Well that's not generalised at all. I never take this attitude to others whose opinions about sex differ from my own. Yes, I am waiting primarily for religious reasons, but I also know that it is what I would be most comfortable with in myself and make me most happy - I thought doing what makes you happy is good? I do agree that sex is more 'natural' than marriage but that does not make marriage a bad thing. A lot of things we have in society may not be 'natural' but are beneficial. I just think this was put a bit brashly, but I accept your difference in opinion.

what do you mean you accept her difference in opinion? what difference does that make? lol
Original post by lollollollollol1

good luck finding a guy that's willing to wait that long, sex is very important for guys in a relationship and they wont waste time putting up with this "im waiting till marriage" b.s.

how will you even know if youre sexually compatible if you dont have sex till marriage??
Reply 10
Original post by Alice_95

you wont last lol just wait till you find that one guy you really like and start to date, he will push all those buttons and one day you will give in :lol:
I'd have no problem waiting.

A life adhering to temptations doesn't seem like a particularly purposeful one i must say.
Original post by donutaud15
Depends on how much the guy cares

Though you can just as easily reverse that and say that if the girl cared, she'd want to make the guy happy.
Original post by Mankytoes
Though you can just as easily reverse that and say that if the girl cared, she'd want to make the guy happy.

yes but since the Op seems to be a girl who wants to know if a guy will wait then I answered appropriately. She's not asking if she should have sex or not.
You'll be best off finding someone with the same religious values as yourself, but I'm sure that was preferable anyway.
Tbh as a girl I wouldn't wait that long for a partner, both because of sexual frustration and obvious differing values in something I deem important.

Basically, I'm sure it's not inconceivable, but you will be significantly shrinking your candidate pool.
Original post by Hazard17
I'd have no problem waiting.

A life adhering to temptations doesn't seem like a particularly purposeful one i must say.

Just out of curiosity what you deem more purposeful about a life resisting temptations?

If I'm only going to have this life I'd rather live it happy and content as opposed to frustrated.
Original post by donutaud15
yes but since the Op seems to be a girl who wants to know if a guy will wait then I answered appropriately. She's not asking if she should have sex or not.

I just don't think that's a fair way of putting it. If you have different beliefs on sex maybe you aren't compatable with each other, but that doesn't mean you don't care. You don't have to bow to your partner's will on everything to show you care. In a healthy relationship you'd look a compromise when there's a conflict, not say "if you don't do want I want, you don't care!".
I couldn't wait.
Wait? For what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mankytoes
I just don't think that's a fair way of putting it. If you have different beliefs on sex maybe you aren't compatable with each other, but that doesn't mean you don't care. You don't have to bow to your partner's will on everything to show you care. In a healthy relationship you'd look a compromise when there's a conflict, not say "if you don't do want I want, you don't care!".

No but sex is a choice. And if they care enough then they will respect their partner's wish to be celibate. The same way as a girl can respect the guy's decision to walk away if they can't be celibate. Sometimes it's not about giving in to someone's will but compromise. OP asked if it's possible so I answered from the way I see it from experience. You can answer it from your perspective but I don't particularly have to give a long winded explanation and defend why I think the way I do. OP can interpret it however she wish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending