The Student Room Group

Is being 'hard to read' a bad thing?

My boyfriend of two years says he finds it hard to read me, when I think I'm quite an open person and I'm good at articulating my feelings.

I mentioned it to my housemates and they said they find me hard to read too. I just wondered if it's a bad thing?
Reply 1
Hard to read in a relationship is possibly bad. Hard to read normally is usually good.
I suppose it can be an advantage in some situations, but I'd say it's generally a bad thing. I've been told that I'm hard to read, even by people who know me really well, and I think it often puts people off talking to me.
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
Hard to read in a relationship is possibly bad. Hard to read normally is usually good.
I'd probably agree with this. Whenever a guy has said I'm hard to read it's usually because they want to 'read' me. It's the kind of 'ah don't you wish you knew what your crush was thinking', it's frustrating not being able to... But it does add a bit of depth.

If someone's struggling so much to read someone though I guess they might feel like it's more hassle than worth but ask him is it a bad thing and what can you do to change it if it is?
No. Present yourself however you want to.

As long as (in a relationship) you are communicating well it shouldn't matter.
Reply 5
Original post by Ebony19
I'd probably agree with this. Whenever a guy has said I'm hard to read it's usually because they want to 'read' me. It's the kind of 'ah don't you wish you knew what your crush was thinking', it's frustrating not being able to... But it does add a bit of depth.

If someone's struggling so much to read someone though I guess they might feel like it's more hassle than worth but ask him is it a bad thing and what can you do to change it if it is?

Thanks everyone for their responses!

Yeah it's odd, because I believe I am an expressive and emotional and I tell people what's going on in my life and when I'm upset. So it's just odd to hear him say that, and then for my friends to say the same thing. I don't feel like I'm a fickle or unattentive person, I dunno. I don't know if I should see it as a failing on my part, I just assumed I was an open and approachable person. Maybe not.. oopsie.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks everyone for their responses!

Yeah it's odd, because I believe I am an expressive and emotional and I tell people what's going on in my life and when I'm upset. So it's just odd to hear him say that, and then for my friends to say the same thing. I don't feel like I'm a fickle or unattentive person, I dunno. I don't know if I should see it as a failing on my part, I just assumed I was an open and approachable person. Maybe not.. oopsie.

I know I feel exactly the same always tried my best to be an open person. But apparently it's not quite so simple. I guess body language has a role to play as well. I also tend not to give absolutely everything away from the word go I just think it's a bit ott but I definitely talk about my feelings etc I'm not closed off in that sense. I guess maybe ask your bf what it is he means and if there's anything you can do without completely changing your personality!!
I'd say in general it is good to be hard to read and not give away your character and your feelings to everyone too easily but you should try and relax around your boyfriend and be yourself and connect and tell him about yourself so he can read you relationships are about knowing and understanding all about your partner, being hard to read doesn't work it means the relationship isn't working you aren't really connecting to him.
it would be better if your partner can read you but in general (e.g. at work) it's probably a good thing as you don't want people to think you're letting your emotions get in the way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending