The Student Room Group

Mum has said she'll follow me if I move out to university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So I'm holding offers from UCL,Edinburgh, Nottingham,Sheffield and Bournemouth for English. I've got my heart set on going to either Nottingham or Sheffield because when I went to both the unis on the open days I loved both of them. The thing is, my mum told my stepdad that if I move to Nottingham or Sheffield she'll move there as well without me knowing so she can keep an eye on me. Ever since I got my offer from UCL, she's been telling me to firm UCL because it's closer to home and much higher in rankings in general. She's right about that but when I went to UCL I didn't like the campus or the feel of the uni at all. I only applied just to shut my mum up. Ever since I got offers from Nottingham and Sheffield she's been trying to tell me horror stories of teenagers moving out for uni and all that. She's called me a home wrecker because I want to move out and basically, she's been trying to guilt trip me. I'm thinking of firming one of those unis then putting Bournemouth as my insurance. I want to move out mainly because I don't have a good relationship with my mum because she is a massive control freak and I'm much happier being away from her.

My stepdad has said to me that if I get the grades for Nottingham/Sheffield then I'm more than free to go. But my mum actually is the more dominant one in the relationship so if he tries to defend me, she brings the anger out on me. I don't know what to do if she does move out to Nottingham or Sheffield. The last thing I want is her doing that because being with her is literally like being in a straitjacket. I don't want her at my uni city at all.

I don't really know what to do? Any advice?

It is the same thing with my dad. He wants me to stay in Swansea cause its near, then when I told him I wasn't going to pick it he went crazy. So I chose it just to please him. My mum wants me to be free tbh, cause no-one really likes him or talks to him. Such a depressing family.

Then I got all my offers, didn't tell him I got accepted into any. Then I firmed the ones I wanted to go to, now he can't do s*** :wink:
I felt like a badass, defying my dad and all hahahaha

Just firm it without telling her. Your gonna just have to bare it for a few more months.

I obviously don't know your mum, but I really don't think she will move there. If she does she still won't know where you are, I mean she can't come to your lectures and other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending