The Student Room Group

offered a job today, they want me to start thursday

I've been offered a job at an architecture firm working as an intern over the summer which I'm really happy about, it's perfect for me. They chose me out of 50 applicants and really seem to like me. They sent me the offer about an hour ago:

'We do hope you will accept this offer, please could you confirm if you could start this thursday, if this isn't possible we can be flexible'.

thing is I live 2 hours away from the place and need time to organise things like a railcard, megarider, routes, uniform etc. Would asking if I can start Monday seem reasonable? don't want to mess this up
If you think you could get everything sorted tomorrow that would look better, but I don't think Monday would be unreasonable, especially as they've said they can be flexible.
Reply 2
Hi, congratulations on getting the job! I think it is reasonable to to rearrange your starting date since you have so much to organise. Just let them know as soon as possible. It should all be fine! All the best.
Reply 3
You don't sound interested, if you were you'd find a way to make it there on Thursday.
Original post by theonelink
I've been offered a job at an architecture firm working as an intern over the summer which I'm really happy about, it's perfect for me. They chose me out of 50 applicants and really seem to like me. They sent me the offer about an hour ago:

'We do hope you will accept this offer, please could you confirm if you could start this thursday, if this isn't possible we can be flexible'.

thing is I live 2 hours away from the place and need time to organise things like a railcard, megarider, routes, uniform etc. Would asking if I can start Monday seem reasonable? don't want to mess this up

At the interview did you say you were available for immediate start?
Even if you ordered a railcard now it would be unlikely to be here by Thursday.

It's worth dropping them an email but keep it open that you can start on Thursday if you absolutely must
Reply 5
Original post by Jackieox
At the interview did you say you were available for immediate start?
Even if you ordered a railcard now it would be unlikely to be here by Thursday.

It's worth dropping them an email but keep it open that you can start on Thursday if you absolutely must

I did say I'd be available for immediate start but I thought they were still interviewing this week my mistake, wasn't expecting such a quick reply either. do you think an email explaining that i'd be delighted to accept the job etc. A start date of Monday would be ideal to fully prepare travel arrangements etc but I'd be open to starting thursday if necessary something along the lines of that?
(edited 6 years ago)
I did say I'd be available for immediate start but I thought they were still interviewing this week my mistake, wasn't expecting such a quick reply either. do you think an email explaining that i'd be delighted to accept the job etc. A start date of Monday would be ideal to fully prepare travel arrangements etc but I'd be open to starting thursday if necessary something along the lines of that?

Yeah, that sounds good =) Besides Monday is the start of the working week as well so you'd have more time to learn the ropes rather than having two days, the weekend then starting then

Thursday is slightly random, so maybe they have something specific on that day they'd like you to be involved with.

How about going back to them and saying delighted to accept, but now realising the amount of logistics involved in preparing, could you start on Monday, but if Thursday is important, could you come in on Thursday, then start on Monday.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
Thursday is slightly random, so maybe they have something specific on that day they'd like you to be involved with.

How about going back to them and saying delighted to accept, but now realising the amount of logistics involved in preparing, could you start on Monday, but if Thursday is important, could you come in on Thursday, then start on Monday.

I thought the same, thursday seems a bit random and specific. anyway, this is the email I sent:

Dear xxxx,

I am writing to express my delight and gratitude at being offered this position. I would be thrilled to accept the offer.

Regarding the start date of this Thursday, would a start date of Monday the 19th be possible? This would be ideal as it would allow me the time and preparation to organise the necessary travel arrangements and documentations. If this is not feasible I would be open to starting the position this Thursday if necessary.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

xxxxxxxx
Original post by Jackieox
Yeah, that sounds good =) Besides Monday is the start of the working week as well so you'd have more time to learn the ropes rather than having two days, the weekend then starting then

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending