The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
Due to advancements in modern medicine you have potentially approximately 80years left

Lol however much advanced it gets, It will probably not allow me to relive my teenage and developing years
You're only 21! You still have a chance to achieve what you want in life. You just need to change your attitude to a more open and positive one. You can enrol in college to get grades and could go on to do uni, or perhaps start your own business. Your world is only limited by yourself. :smile: Good luck!
Original post by dirt consider
I feel the same way about my life, and sometimes i let it get the best of me. The worst thing you can do is continue to miss out on things, because honestly at 21 you still have your whole life ahead of you. Some people realise this at 30 or 40, so you’re really in the perfect postition to turn your life around and still enjoy your youth. What you’re doing is pushing yourself into a kind of “social anxiety” where you don’t want to be around people or do things under the guise of feeling sorry for yourself, trust me dude the only thing you can do is go outside and turn it around. Nobody’s gonna do it for you, and the longer you wait the more you’re gonna miss out on, you only get one life don’t let yours be a waste of time.

Yet another summer has been wasted, there isnt much to do anymore so all i can do is binge watch shows on the internet and hopefully when I start uni which is this year I will be a different person.

Thanks for the advice
I'm 29 and still doing this 😂
Im 21 , ive just completed Alevels, i also didnt go to prom, im quite introverted and dont really go out ,Uni isnt right for me right now as i have no idea what i want to do, so im looking into volunteering , jobs, apprenticeships...
I find things hard ,but even if you start doing some volunteering you can gain experience ,you could start off small , meet people, then use the experience to get an apprenticeship or a job

Its like this. I can sit home and moan, or i can take action to better my self, however hard it could be , it would be more painful not to take action and stay stuck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Yet another summer has been wasted, there isnt much to do anymore so all i can do is binge watch shows on the internet and hopefully when I start uni which is this year I will be a different person.

Thanks for the advice

Dude trust me i’m in the EXACT same situation as you, when you go back to uni just try and make an effort with making friends, you really do have to, friends are super vital when you feel like this.
Didn’t leave my room until 18 and had 0 qualifications ...now heading to uni at 22.
It’s never too late if it makes you feel better! :smile: you’ve realised now about the things you’ve missed out on and regretted. So from now on you can change it :biggrin: don’t dwell on the past just focus on the present! Whatever it is you want to do now.
Lol however much advanced it gets, It will probably not allow me to relive my teenage and developing years

Well teenage years aren’t supposed to be the best years of your life :smile:
That is brilliant :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
Well teenage years aren’t supposed to be the best years of your life :smile:

I mean I know theyre not the best years of someones life but surely they could be one the best. Its a time where you have alot of energy and time and its where you need to experiment doing alot of things which I regret not doing, if you end up getting into alot of things it certainly could be some of the golden years of your life.
Original post by njc313245
That is brilliant :smile:

??
I mean I know theyre not the best years of someones life but surely they could be one the best. Its a time where you have alot of energy and time and its where you need to experiment doing alot of things which I regret not doing, if you end up getting into alot of things it certainly could be some of the golden years of your life.

You can also experiment in your 20s tho, and 30s and 40s. But especially 20s since you still have less responsibilities especially as I assume you aren’t married,not a parent etc
??

that was a mistake sorry, i was replying to someones advice and forgot it goes on the whole thread not to the person !
Turned 21 a few days ago, i feel ive completely wasted the developing years of my life doing nothing at all, socially and acadamically. All Ive done since I was 10 is just sit in my house and play games and watch pointless videos just to kill time. At the time I was around 14/15 I knew I needed to start being productive and actually do something with life e.g get into fitness, have a job etc. but always ended up telling myself that I have a lot of time ahead of me, boy I was wrong.

Socially never really had the friends I wanted to have, barely ever step foot outside the house. Didnt go to any events such as prom whereas everyone I have encountered has gone. Makes me feel very low on the things Ive missed out on and didnt get to experience and that the time for that will never come back.

Anyone reading this who are in school, you better take action if you havent already cause you dont wanna be like me and regret not doing anything about yourself.

someone please send me back 5 years!!

Try not to beat yourself up about it. Honestly, I've been through the same thing, in fact I am still do a degree but it used to be worse. A lot of people who are quieter or introverted probably feel like this because we never really joined an clubs during childhood.

IM(uneducated)O, I think a lot of people expect to have experienced a lot of "drama" or achieved a lot by their early 20's due to the way young people are represented in the media. You hear about the young people on TV (fictional and non-fictional shows) or social media who seem to have achieved a lot, which leads people to think they should be at a similar point. However you only hear about these people as a story can be made out them. I don't think this represents the majority of people in all honesty. People who don't do much won't get much attention as there isn't much to comment on. That's not a bad thing, just some people manage to find success early on, which isn't normal.

Many of us have spent or adolescence by ourselves usually taking part in activities that aren't considered social (gaming, watching videos). In all fairness, there isn't much to do in towns as a young teenager until you can legally drink. Most people go clubbing at that age, however if you don't like getting plastered every weekend (like me), then it can be extremely difficult to find friends and hobbies. It's possible to find past-times outside, its just difficult if you're not extroverted or have anxiety.

You might be thinking about the past more if you're current social life isn't great. It can lead to you being depressed because you feel like you could have done something different so that your social life would have been more active. Sometimes I feel dumb because it seems like it would have been easy to have done something in past situations, but the fact is it isn't obvious when you're young. Its a learning process. You could have missed opportunities when you were younger, but the best way to make up from that is learn from your mistakes and try to not miss as many in the future.

The best thing you can do is try and change your life, as cliche as it sounds. If you have a better life balance, you probably won't reflect on the past as often. It is a very difficult process, but worth trying. I've been trying to do the same for a couple years now, and I find it difficult as I haven't had a proper life balance beforehand. Sometimes you have to force yourself to do things you feel you won't be interested in, as it might surprise you. It will probably take time to build up, you just have to keep trying.

I can't help but feel like I went on a few tangents. The main thing to keep in mind is the only way you'll stop feeling this regret is if you try and change now. Many people find this difficult, but you have to keep trying. I'm 19 and sometimes I feel like an old man when I think about regrets, but then I remember I'm still young and have decades left to live. I don't know how I will make my life balance better, or what I'll achieve but figuring that out is quite literally a major part of life.

Hope this helps a little
Reply 35
I feel like you OP, I am 19 so maybe a few more years to go before I completely regret my past decisions.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/10/20/late-bloomers-malcolm-gladwell

Good read for those worried that they’ve missed out on leading a successful life.
Turned 21 a few days ago, i feel ive completely wasted the developing years of my life doing nothing at all, socially and acadamically. All Ive done since I was 10 is just sit in my house and play games and watch pointless videos just to kill time. At the time I was around 14/15 I knew I needed to start being productive and actually do something with life e.g get into fitness, have a job etc. but always ended up telling myself that I have a lot of time ahead of me, boy I was wrong.

Socially never really had the friends I wanted to have, barely ever step foot outside the house. Didnt go to any events such as prom whereas everyone I have encountered has gone. Makes me feel very low on the things Ive missed out on and didnt get to experience and that the time for that will never come back.

Anyone reading this who are in school, you better take action if you havent already cause you dont wanna be like me and regret not doing anything about yourself.

someone please send me back 5 years!!

so what you doing now?.. did you go through a levels etc..
keeping it real, secondary school prom was trash and sixth form prom was alright but only because of my friend circle. you didn't miss out on a lot because you didn't go to prom
I'm in the same position, I see no realistic way I can get out of this situation when living like this is all I've ever known

Latest

Trending

Trending