The Student Room Group

Can I cancel firm acceptance?

I firmly accepted an unconditional offer two months ago, and now I don't want to go.
Should I call UCAS? Will the university let me withdraw?
I even applied for a room there (my parents pressuring me to do everything as quickly as possible)

What is the procedure? Should I email/call the university or UCAS first?
I don't understand getting the money back. I wouldn't need to pay anything, would I? Haven't even sent finance application off, since my country is doing it late.
(edited 4 years ago)
Call the university to let you go, takes about a minute to do if they do it straight away. UCAS will update accordingly.
Contact the University if you have actually accepted it as your Firm, and ask them to 'Withdraw' you.
Once they have done this (they will) then you can go into Clearing etc if you want to.

(PS. contact the accommodation office there as well to make sure your housing application is canceled.)
Original post by returnmigrant
Contact the University if you have actually accepted it as your Firm, and ask them to 'Withdraw' you.
Once they have done this (they will) then you can go into Clearing etc if you want to.

(PS. contact the accommodation office there as well to make sure your housing application is canceled.)

I would be very careful about using the term 'withdraw' in any instruction to either UCAS or a University. 'Withdrawing' typically means removing them from this application cycle entirely, with no option to take part in Clearing or Extra etc.

If they just want to decline a specific offer(s), they should instruct the Uni(s) via email and follow up with a call to them and then UCAS.

If they do want to completely withdraw, they can do so themselves via UCAS Track. An email to the Uni's involved would be considered polite, but is not required.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I would be very careful about using the term 'withdraw' in any instruction to either UCAS or a University. 'Withdrawing' typically means removing them from this application cycle entirely, with no option to take part in Clearing or Extra etc.

If they just want to decline a specific offer(s), they should instruct the Uni(s) via email and follow up with a call to them and then UCAS.

If they do want to completely withdraw, they can do so themselves via UCAS Track. An email to the Uni's involved would be considered polite, but is not required.

^^^^ Yes, do make sure you just cancel your place, and don’t completely remove yourself from this year’s UCAS programme. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending