The Student Room Group

My parents dont want me anymore in their house

Hi everyone, i really need your advice.So I am an 18 years old student.I am studying at a sixth form college.I am living with my parents. Practicaly every week I have a lot fights with my parents. They dont want me anymore to live with them. They are saying its too expensive to support me.I dont even have a social life.I dont have any friends to help me. I actually dont know what to do and where to apply for a home.I found a job but its not really paid. Hopefully i will get 50 per week.Can I have an advice from you all. I really need help. Thanks <3

Scroll to see replies

£50 a week isn't enough to live on, it won't even cover your rent. But finding a job is definitely a step in the right direction.

Contact your local council's homelessness team. They may be able to help with housing. You need to emphasis the hostile atmosphere at your current address. If any violence has occured it is in your interest to discuss it with them.

Do you have any family members that you could potentially live with? Older siblings, aunts or uncles, grandparents?

Are you a member of a religion? Could you ask the religious leaders for help with housing?
Realistically you are probably going to end up having to claim universal credit to top up your current income.

Just hang on in their, I know stuff is BS ATM but you can get through it. This happens to 1000s of other young people a year, many of them go on to lead the lives that they want.
How do you think I am able to get a home fee status?
Reply 3
What the cause of the fights and is there anything that can be done to calm things. Keep working towards financial independence though study and work. Get some advice about independent living.
Original post by Annonymus7405o
How do you think I am able to get a home fee status?

What do you mean? Are you saying you are an international student or are you a UK citizen wondering if you would be classed as homeless in this situation?
Like I moved to UK 6 months ago so yeah I am an international student
The Shelter website for the part of the UK you are in (England, Scotland, Wales, etc) will give you information on how to resolve being homeless, your rights and options.

Your local council website will also have information because they are the organisation that has primary responsibility for dealing with homelessness applications.

You should also speak to your form tutor/welfare/guidance tutor.
Generally full time students without disabilities or dependents are not eligible for housing benefit (local housing allowance) but you can check if there are exceptions or alternative benefits for those still at school or estranged from their parents. Shelter or Citizens Advice, perhaps the local council will know.
Reply 8
Hi everyone, i really need your advice.So I am an 18 years old student.I am studying at a sixth form college.I am living with my parents. Practicaly every week I have a lot fights with my parents. They dont want me anymore to live with them. They are saying its too expensive to support me.I dont even have a social life.I dont have any friends to help me. I actually dont know what to do and where to apply for a home.I found a job but its not really paid. Hopefully i will get 50 per week.Can I have an advice from you all. I really need help. Thanks <3

Are you applying to University? If you are, you will be moving out later in the year.

I don't see how you can consider a job when you are taking A Levels and would also be concerned that 'it is not really paid'. You would be well advised not to take this job, as it is more important to do well at school.
Reply 9
Like I moved to UK 6 months ago so yeah I am an international student

During the lockdown?
Original post by Kerzen
During the lockdown?

Yeah
Reply 11
Yeah

From which country?
Original post by Kerzen
Are you applying to University? If you are, you will be moving out later in the year.

I don't see how you can consider a job when you are taking A Levels and would also be concerned that 'it is not really paid'. You would be well advised not to take this job, as it is more important to do well at school.

I am gonna apply for uni after 2 years,now I am doing BTEC Level 2,next year I am gonna be Level3 that takes 2 years.I can not leave the work thats my only way to survive.
Reply 13
I am gonna apply for uni after 2 years,now I am doing BTEC Level 2,next year I am gonna be Level3 that takes 2 years.I can not leave the work thats my only way to survive.

Do you have an NI number?
Reply 14
if you're on a student visa you are not eligible for benefits or help from the council, sorry. you need to explain that to your parents as i'm sure they don't want you out on the street.

if you got a job you could always pay your parents rent money, right? that would ease their financial worry.
Your options to receive homelessness support and state benefits might be compromised by your immigration status. Both welfare benefits, homelessness and immigration are really complex. You need professional advice.
Reply 16
I'm inclined to suggest getting in touch with Childline, as you are still only 18.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/
What is your immigration status and type of visa?
Some have no recourse to public funds. Whats the position on this if you know.
Original post by Anonymous
What is your immigration status and type of visa?
Some have no recourse to public funds. Whats the position on this if you know.

Its not visa,i came before Brexit,i am with my passport.I am absolutely eligible to study and work there.But I dont have yet my NI and settled status.
Original post by Kerzen
I'm inclined to suggest getting in touch with Childline, as you are still only 18.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

Thanks, I will try to text them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending