The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
For example, when the manager gets upset with me, later I can't hold my tears, and I had to do it privately to avoid being seen as 'being weak'.

What's wrong with me and how do I stop this? I want to change.

I think I do have a mental depression since my childhood for unknown reasons. I do have anxiety and borderline personality disorder.

Cry whenever you need to mate. It's not weak
I come from an ethnic minority background living in the UK and I was brought up believing when men cry they are soft. I remember I got scolded by my dad for crying after being bullied at school, "STOP CRYING! YOU'RE NOT A BABY ANYMORE! NO WONDER YOU'RE GETTING BULLIED!" "Men must show no weakness, even at their worst time!"

Well I’m sorry to hear that’s what you were told. It’s okay though, you are allowed to cry when you feel the need to. Nobody has the right to judge you and as for gender, crying does not make anybody weak.
It's normally women do cry when they get scolded or into an argument: men don't.

Not true. I am male and I have cried after being shouted at.
I think it's anxiety and a very lack of confidence I have since my tough childhood. Can't find a way out of it.

i have a lack of confidence but it's gradually getting better bc of support around me recently. yea it's taken me about 2 years to get better but that's because it was a total of 6 years that ruined my bloody life and other things behind it too. after year 11, i didn't rlly make a change, my friend kinda showed me how you should act and whatever. i've got better, slowly but actually this month i have noticed a change and i feel much better but can't deal with the change sometimes as it's all new to me. i'm not used to having people like me now😂. i was that depressed and numb i couldn't act like a normal human back then and it is that damaging, i understand you. but honestly my advice is, get the best support u can/need so u can get better emotionally:smile:. feel free to talk
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by username5807558
I’m sorry but that’s awfully sexist. I hope that’s not what you actually believe. Anyone with feelings is bound to cry at some stage, it happens and it’s okay, even if you are a man!
Crying can lessen your burden sometimes and so if it alleviates your pain, do it and don’t worry about what others may think.

That’s not sexist at all, it’s the truth.

Latest