The Student Room Group

I'm an adult man and do cry when someone yell at me: what's wrong with me?

For example, when the manager gets upset with me, later I can't hold my tears, and I had to do it privately to avoid being seen as 'being weak'.

What's wrong with me and how do I stop this? I want to change.

I think I do have a mental depression since my childhood for unknown reasons. I do have anxiety and borderline personality disorder.

Scroll to see replies

i used to cry and sometimes do when it's the time of the month as it is kinda uncontrollable and people are soft on me bc of it which is embarrassing 😭
but i've learnt to toughen up :smile:
just don't listen to ur manager and just tell yourself you're here for the money and here for urself and they're only doing their job. yk don't try and feel bad if they shout at u
Why do you see it as a problem? If it makes you feel better, what's the big deal?
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
Why do you see it as a problem? If it makes you feel better, what's the big deal?

It's normally women do cry when they get scolded or into an argument: men don't.
Original post by Anonymous
For example, when the manager gets upset with me, later I can't hold my tears, and I had to do it privately to avoid being seen as 'being weak'.

I think I do have a mental depression since my childhood for unknown reasons. I do have anxiety and borderline personality disorder.

The professional work environment does not allow for people to react to situations which are not only challenging but also upsetting.
You are to be commended for bravely introducing this as a discussion point.
Thank you for doing so.
Reply 5
Original post by gracieee16
i used to cry and sometimes do when it's the time of the month as it is kinda uncontrollable and people are soft on me bc of it which is embarrassing 😭
but i've learnt to toughen up :smile:
just don't listen to ur manager and just tell yourself you're here for the money and here for urself and they're only doing their job. yk don't try and feel bad if they shout at u

I think it's anxiety and a very lack of confidence I have since my tough childhood. Can't find a way out of it.
It's normally women do cry when they get scolded or into an argument: men don't.

I’m sorry but that’s awfully sexist. I hope that’s not what you actually believe. Anyone with feelings is bound to cry at some stage, it happens and it’s okay, even if you are a man!
Crying can lessen your burden sometimes and so if it alleviates your pain, do it and don’t worry about what others may think.

Says who?

Maybe most men cry in private…
Reply 9

Make your manager cry instead for a change. Gotta assert dominance
You can avoid people shouting
Original post by Dentaldreams
I’m sorry but that’s awfully sexist. I hope that’s not what you actually believe. Anyone with feelings is bound to cry at some stage, it happens and it’s okay, even if you are a man!
Crying can lessen your burden sometimes and so if it alleviates your pain, do it and don’t worry about what others may think.

I come from an ethnic minority background living in the UK and I was brought up believing when men cry they are soft. I remember I got scolded by my dad for crying after being bullied at school, "STOP CRYING! YOU'RE NOT A BABY ANYMORE! NO WONDER YOU'RE GETTING BULLIED!" "Men must show no weakness, even at their worst time!"
I come from an ethnic minority background living in the UK and I was brought up believing when men cry they are soft. I remember I got scolded by my dad for crying after being bullied at school, "STOP CRYING! YOU'RE NOT A BABY ANYMORE! NO WONDER YOU'RE GETTING BULLIED!" "Men must show no weakness, even at their worst time!"

Just because you were told this, doesn't mean it is true...
Original post by Commodus19
The professional work environment does not allow for people to react to situations which are not only challenging but also upsetting.
You are to be commended for bravely introducing this as a discussion point.
Thank you for doing so.

I don't know what I should do if my manager gets mad and stressed out. Once he does, normally he would apologise when he calms down, but he ends up repeating. To my mind, I thought about slowly giving him some attitude.
Original post by j25_8
Make your manager cry instead for a change. Gotta assert dominance

I thought about going physical. I already have the worst anxiety in the past few months.
I don't know what I should do if my manager gets mad and stressed out. Once he does, normally he would apologise when he calms down, but he ends up repeating. To my mind, I thought about slowly giving him some attitude.

I think the manager and you need therapy.

No manager has to shout at staff. It shows a lack of certain skills that are tactical for leadership. The manager needs to join an anger management school or whatever. If they shout at strangers (employees) imagine how they are at their home?! OP, don't take their screaming match to heart.

As for you OP, you need therapy to work through this childhood trauma. You can't go around talking about how bad your childhood was but do nothing to fix it. Crying is normal regardless of gender. This runs deeper than just crying. You can't go through life hoping for change in your life while you stay unmoved. Get therapy and work through the trauma.

Then cry to your heart's content without bearing the burden of these ridiculous society gender expectations.
(edited 2 years ago)
I thought about going physical. I already have the worst anxiety in the past few months.

physically assaulting your manager is not the best strategy

I'm like this, confrontation makes me cry.
I guess I'm just sensitive to any criticisms. It's probs related to anxiety too. You're not the only one to feel this way!

literally nothing is wrong with you, everyone cries and its completely normal to feel emotion, especially as a response to other emotion (like your managers expression of emotion)

you shouldn't have to or need to change it, but if you really want to, then i think the best way is to accept it, reflect on what it is that makes you cry (is it the fear of disappointing others, is it the feeling that you haven't done well enough or feeling of anger? etc) and focus on that

if it is to do with your mental health and depression - i would try talking through it with a friend, a therapist etc. and again try to pinpoint the cause to address that

hope this helps :smile:

Humans cry to relieve pain whether emotional or physical. It's not set aside for a certain gender. Crying doesn't mean you're weak, it means you care about whatever happened to a deeper level and that you felt hurt by what happened. There's nothing 'wrong' with you if you cry. It's a natural human thing to do.

Latest