The Student Room Group

'Loan overpayment deducted' on my SF Breakdown 23/24

I went to University in 2019 but ended up dropping out. After leaving Uni I had some family problems and ended up leaving home. Whilst this was going on SF contacted my family address about loan repayments but because I wasn't living at home (and didn't have the best relationship with parents) I didn't see any of these letters for a long time.. to the point where my loan repayments were passed onto a third party company (which I am currently paying off).

So fast forward to this year, I've applied for SF to go back to Uni. Unfortunately I had to go for the minimum loan as parents won't financially support me on my application + I cannot prove 3+ years of independent living because I was sofa surfing from 2019-2021. I have work that I can do whilst I am studying and have figured out that it is feasible with the minimum loan which is great, SF have said that next year I can apply for the maximum based off of my own income/partners (ideal).

I received a letter in the post today with my Student Finance Breakdown.. on the maintenance loan section it reads:

Loan not based on household income: £4,651
Equals loan available to you: £4,651
Loan requested: £4,651
Loan overpayment deducted: -£4,651
Loan to be paid to you: £0

Can someone please explain to me what loan overpayment deducted means? and why I am going to get £0. When I google search about this all I can find is info about loan repayments (which I am currently paying off through a third party as mentioned before). I'm just a bit confused, is this a mistake on SFs side?

Obviously stressed about this so any help is really appreciated.
Original post by alex1012233
I went to University in 2019 but ended up dropping out. After leaving Uni I had some family problems and ended up leaving home. Whilst this was going on SF contacted my family address about loan repayments but because I wasn't living at home (and didn't have the best relationship with parents) I didn't see any of these letters for a long time.. to the point where my loan repayments were passed onto a third party company (which I am currently paying off).

So fast forward to this year, I've applied for SF to go back to Uni. Unfortunately I had to go for the minimum loan as parents won't financially support me on my application + I cannot prove 3+ years of independent living because I was sofa surfing from 2019-2021. I have work that I can do whilst I am studying and have figured out that it is feasible with the minimum loan which is great, SF have said that next year I can apply for the maximum based off of my own income/partners (ideal).

I received a letter in the post today with my Student Finance Breakdown.. on the maintenance loan section it reads:

Loan not based on household income: £4,651
Equals loan available to you: £4,651
Loan requested: £4,651
Loan overpayment deducted: -£4,651
Loan to be paid to you: £0

Can someone please explain to me what loan overpayment deducted means? and why I am going to get £0. When I google search about this all I can find is info about loan repayments (which I am currently paying off through a third party as mentioned before). I'm just a bit confused, is this a mistake on SFs side?

Obviously stressed about this so any help is really appreciated.

Hi there, I would advise to contact us via Live Chat on your account and the team can look into this for you. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending