The Student Room Group

New vegetarian, lacking willpower. Advice/encouragement?

Hi there,

I have recently made the decision to try a vegetarian diet. This is the 4th time in my life that I have attempted it, so I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to keep it up for long.

There are two main deciding factors in my choice this time around - firstly, I desperately need to change my diet as I am overweight, sluggish and do not eat nearly as healthily as I should. I live on a main road opposite a KFC, a fish and chip shop, a Chinese and an Indian takeaway, with a burger place, dominos and Pizza Hut all within walking distance. The temptation is huge! I have told myself that the only way I am going to be able to resist the temptation of ordering from these places, and ultimately save a SHED LOAD of money is by cutting meat out of my diet completely. I am a "mature" student living with my partner, and we need to save the money. I exercise a lot by walking pretty much everywhere, every day.

The second reason is a more personal one. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety, and recently adopted a cat who has quickly become my best friend and companion. Due to my mental health issues I have found that now we have a cat I have become deeply attached to animals, and the thought of causing any suffering to any living creature whether it is a cat or a cockroach is wrong, and it deeply disturbs me. I can no longer watch food shows or animal documentaries due to having anxiety attacks about animals being slaughtered needlessly. Basically this has affected my desire to eat any form of meat, and now I simply can't touch it.

I don't have many friends to support me with my choices, and my family see it as "just a phase" as I have tried it too many times before. The one friend I have at Uni, who I told about my issues with animals and hoped would understand, blurted it out to some of the other people on the course who literally laughed in my face and told me I was weak. I fear being judged, and my anxiety makes it worse. I feel as though in my peer group being a veggie is frowned upon - people see it as a hassle, and my boyfriend even referred to it as a "disease," albeit in a joking, banter-y way but still it makes me wary of who I tell about my lifestyle change.

There are other obstacles that I have already come across - first and foremost my boyfriend does eat meat. He is overweight and has been given Doctor's orders not to eat red meat due to having developed gout. However he still eats chilli con carne which I try to discourage him from doing, and regularly orders KFC. I hope with my change he can learn to eat healthier - I have no problem with him eating white meat as it is his choice and I cannot influence him, but I do tend to get jealous of the delicious looking chicken he eats!

I would love to be able to cook meals with him, however he is so fussy and will not eat potatoes, cheese or most green veg. I have already cooked one veggie meal with him, and he found it OK but of course said it would be better with chicken. He knows he needs to change too but has even less willpower than I do, and I am worried that his lack of willpower will effect mine a few weeks or months down the road.

I am not a fussy eater, but there are a few veggie foods that I refuse to touch - the biggest ones for me are mushrooms and large beans such as kidney beans. I cannot stand them! It seems that most "veggie" options on restaurant menus are mushroom or bean-based and I am worried that I won't be able to go out with friends if I won't eat these two foods.

Well those are my thoughts. I know it was probably TL;DR, so apologies if it was. I hope that I can find some encouragement here!

Thanks for taking the time to read if you did.
Hiya,

I've also been on a lifestyle change for 2 months now. The only real advice I can give you is to try pescetarianism [basically a vegetarian but you eat fish]. All you have to do is replace meat with fish. Its better for your health than meat, offers more variety [especially in restaurants] and is a good stepping stone to full vege/vegan.

Ignore your immature and tactless uni "friends". In the words of the hodgetwins, do whatever the **** YOU WANNA DO!! :wink:
Reply 2
Thanks so much for your reply!

I tried pescatarianism before, which was OK for a while, but I slacked very quickly! I started eating chicken again because "it isn't as bad as beef," and before I knew it I was back on the KFC! I think this time I want to be stricter, and just cut out every type of meat because it is the only way I will keep from slipping. I suppose if there really was nothing else I could try fish but I'm not really a big fish-eater anyway so I think I would rather stick to veg if I can.
There's a good selection of vegetarian recipes here
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/quick-veggie/

And here with more focus on the animal rights/ ethical side.
http://www.viva.org.uk/goingveggie/index2.php
Reply 4
Look,
it sounds like you need more of a diet rather than a vegetarian diet. But if you really do not want to eat meat, make sure you eat mushrooms and beans more often.
The solution to your question is quite simple: go grocery shopping and cook at home.
Veggies, soups and new recipes can be easily made at home in a few minutes and are very healthy options to junk food. They taste good too!
Also maybe quorn products can help?
Reply 5
I also suggest Quorn! Its quick and easy - its made from fungi which is sort of mushroomy.
It takes will power to resist the temptation. JUST REMEMBER WHY YOU ARE DOING IT :biggrin:
Reply 6
Thanks very much,

I worked out that I haven't actually eaten any meat for just over a month now, and I have cooked at home most days anyway. I have not ordered a takeaway for weeks, which is doing both me and my pocket a world of good. I have already lost 2 kg!

Aside from the diet being needed the main concern for me really is the animal welfare and that's when I struggle to tell people. I guess I just need the support sticking to it, and encouragement and confirmation that I am not weak or stupid because I care, which I don't really get at home or from friends.

I have a bunch of quorn/imitation meat products already which I often use to bulk out meals. Unfortunately there isn't much use in telling me to make sure I eat mushrooms - they are disgusting, and make me feel queasy just thinking about he taste and texture combined. They are just repulsive to me and I simply won't touch them. I know a lot of people don't like them, and everyone has food they won't eat. Mushrooms happens to be mine, and unfortunately it is an obstacle that I will need to try and find ways of dealing with.

Thanks for the sites! I'll check them out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HmMusic
Hi there,

I have recently made the decision to try a vegetarian diet. This is the 4th time in my life that I have attempted it, so I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to keep it up for long.

There are two main deciding factors in my choice this time around - firstly, I desperately need to change my diet as I am overweight, sluggish and do not eat nearly as healthily as I should. I live on a main road opposite a KFC, a fish and chip shop, a Chinese and an Indian takeaway, with a burger place, dominos and Pizza Hut all within walking distance. The temptation is huge! I have told myself that the only way I am going to be able to resist the temptation of ordering from these places, and ultimately save a SHED LOAD of money is by cutting meat out of my diet completely. I am a "mature" student living with my partner, and we need to save the money. I exercise a lot by walking pretty much everywhere, every day.

The second reason is a more personal one. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety, and recently adopted a cat who has quickly become my best friend and companion. Due to my mental health issues I have found that now we have a cat I have become deeply attached to animals, and the thought of causing any suffering to any living creature whether it is a cat or a cockroach is wrong, and it deeply disturbs me. I can no longer watch food shows or animal documentaries due to having anxiety attacks about animals being slaughtered needlessly. Basically this has affected my desire to eat any form of meat, and now I simply can't touch it.

I don't have many friends to support me with my choices, and my family see it as "just a phase" as I have tried it too many times before. The one friend I have at Uni, who I told about my issues with animals and hoped would understand, blurted it out to some of the other people on the course who literally laughed in my face and told me I was weak. I fear being judged, and my anxiety makes it worse. I feel as though in my peer group being a veggie is frowned upon - people see it as a hassle, and my boyfriend even referred to it as a "disease," albeit in a joking, banter-y way but still it makes me wary of who I tell about my lifestyle change.

There are other obstacles that I have already come across - first and foremost my boyfriend does eat meat. He is overweight and has been given Doctor's orders not to eat red meat due to having developed gout. However he still eats chilli con carne which I try to discourage him from doing, and regularly orders KFC. I hope with my change he can learn to eat healthier - I have no problem with him eating white meat as it is his choice and I cannot influence him, but I do tend to get jealous of the delicious looking chicken he eats!

I would love to be able to cook meals with him, however he is so fussy and will not eat potatoes, cheese or most green veg. I have already cooked one veggie meal with him, and he found it OK but of course said it would be better with chicken. He knows he needs to change too but has even less willpower than I do, and I am worried that his lack of willpower will effect mine a few weeks or months down the road.

I am not a fussy eater, but there are a few veggie foods that I refuse to touch - the biggest ones for me are mushrooms and large beans such as kidney beans. I cannot stand them! It seems that most "veggie" options on restaurant menus are mushroom or bean-based and I am worried that I won't be able to go out with friends if I won't eat these two foods.

Well those are my thoughts. I know it was probably TL;DR, so apologies if it was. I hope that I can find some encouragement here!

Hi, I've recently turned veggie as well (been doing it for 3 weeks). I'm in the same situation as you in the aspect that you haven't got much support and the temptation is EVERYWHERE!

Although don't give up, you can do it if you put your mind to it. It helps finding things you do like and experimenting. I've recently started to eat quite a bit of Linda McCartney's stuff (it's really nice). It's all about experimentation and reminding yourself of why you turned veggie.

How long have you been doing it? :smile:
Reply 8
well there are plenty other veg to beans and mushrooms!! I am not a vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of veggies and almost every day three pieces of fruit. however i think that being a vegetarian is going to complicate a bit things because if you want to lose weight the you will also have to cut down on cheese, nuts, cream... and that limits your meals enormously!!! anyways, if you really care much about animals then it shouldnt be too bad not being able to eat meat!!

you known.. there is this cookery book which I LOVE. i think its vegeterian: pretty sure it only involves veggiesn. anyways, the cook's name is Otto Lenhgui or sthg similar and his dishes are AMAZING. really... so why dont you try cooking one of these to your partner? even my brother who hates vegetables loves it:wink:

all the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by priya8D
I also suggest Quorn! Its quick and easy - its made from fungi which is sort of mushroomy.
It takes will power to resist the temptation. JUST REMEMBER WHY YOU ARE DOING IT :biggrin:

Personally I don't see the point in cheating by eating vegetarian foods which replicate the taste of meat.

If you're a vegetarian, you're a vegetarian

Posted from TSR iPad
Original post by anonymouse01
Personally I don't see the point in cheating by eating vegetarian foods which replicate the taste of meat.

Posted from TSR iPad

How is it cheating?
Reply 11
The veggie cookbook someone above mentioned is called 'Plenty' by Yotam Ottolenghi (think that's how you spell it!)
His recipes are great. He's not veggie, but all the recipes in this book are. He thinks veggie food shouldn't be about interesting food minus meat- it should be food that meat eaters might choose to eat anyway. He uses lots of interesting ingredients, but after you've tried a recipe you might be able to alter it a bit to use cheaper or less obscure stuff!

Well worth buying. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by hannahisasmit
Hi, I've recently turned veggie as well (been doing it for 3 weeks). I'm in the same situation as you in the aspect that you haven't got much support and the temptation is EVERYWHERE!

Although don't give up, you can do it if you put your mind to it. It helps finding things you do like and experimenting. I've recently started to eat quite a bit of Linda McCartney's stuff (it's really nice). It's all about experimentation and reminding yourself of why you turned veggie.

How long have you been doing it? :smile:

I worked out that I have been veggie for just over a month. I started by phasing it in, finishing up the meat I already had in the freezer and cutting back slowly, and now I have not touched anything with meat in for at least 3 weeks.

I have a few Linda McCartney things, I had a really nice cheese and spring onion filo pastry lattice the other day!

Original post by anonymouse01

Posted from TSR iPad

I think the point of them is that they are an easy way of getting the protein that you still need, as well as being a lot healthier. I could be wrong of course, but I'm pretty sure quorn (or similar) mince is miles healthier than even lean beef mince. It isn't really cheating as such, more about getting the right nutrition and still being able to enjoy meals, which are two big plus points for me!

Original post by ce303ce303
well there are plenty other veg to beans and mushrooms!! I am not a vegetarian, but I do eat a lot of veggies and almost every day three pieces of fruit. however i think that being a vegetarian is going to complicate a bit things because if you want to lose weight the you will also have to cut down on cheese, nuts, cream... and that limits your meals enormously!!! anyways, if you really care much about animals then it shouldnt be too bad not being able to eat meat!!

you known.. there is this cookery book which I LOVE. i think its vegeterian: pretty sure it only involves veggiesn. anyways, the cook's name is Otto Lenhgui or sthg similar and his dishes are AMAZING. really... so why dont you try cooking one of these to your partner? even my brother who hates vegetables loves it:wink:

all the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much! I will have to check it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by cozcoz
The veggie cookbook someone above mentioned is called 'Plenty' by Yotam Ottolenghi (think that's how you spell it!)
His recipes are great. He's not veggie, but all the recipes in this book are. He thinks veggie food shouldn't be about interesting food minus meat- it should be food that meat eaters might choose to eat anyway. He uses lots of interesting ingredients, but after you've tried a recipe you might be able to alter it a bit to use cheaper or less obscure stuff!

Well worth buying. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds perfect. I might even be able to cook again with my partner! I will add it to my wish list :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Oh! I thought of something else too. Look out for quinoa (sounds like keen-wa). It's a grain, but has loads more protein in it than rice. I eat it a lot to make sure I'm not missing out on protein.

I also buy frozen spinach to chuck into meals to help boost the iron, otherwise I can get anaemic which is never fun!

Have a look on Pinterest for veggie recipes too- there are loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Awesome thanks for the tips. :-) and for being so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by HmMusic
Hi there,

ok, every time you want to eat meat, remember you are eating a CORPSE.

ok to put you off kfc, google kentucky fried cruelty and watch the video (not nice but will put you off it for life)
if you want some real motivation- google meet your meat, and watch that- even worse, but you will never eat another piece of meat again.

btw to put you off the chinese, a lot of chinese takeaways have been raided and they have found dead cats in the kitchen being served as chicken. so next time you want to order meat from there, look at your cat.

sorry sounded a bit harsh, but u asked for motivation.....

:smile:
Reply 17
Thanks for the advice, however I have seen a lot of the videos and read the articles etc already. Whilst I personally feel that a lot of them are activist propaganda, I believe that the underlying message and basic ideas are generally sound - battery chickens etc. My mental health issues sort all that out for me already though! The thought of any sort of animal slaughter and suffering for me at the moment is sickening and has been the cause of a few very draining and traumatising panic attacks which I don't wish to repeat by watching the videos again. I just know I need to stop eating meat, buying leather etc.

The reasons behind my worry of slipping is not because I worry about it NOW, but at some point in the future when my lack of willpower becomes too overwhelming, or I stop getting the anxiety/panic attacks over animal cruelty. I just want to prove to myself that I can stick to it for my own physical and mental health. I have lost 2 kilos already, am eating a million times healthier and I never want to go back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest