The Student Room Group

Can i still go through clearing even if i have my firm?

Hey,
I was wondering imagine i get my firm but i dont want to go to it, can i call up universities who are in the clearing process and get a verbal offer and then ask my firm to reject me?
I dont want to end up with no university :frown:
Original post by aischa20
Hey,
I was wondering imagine i get my firm but i dont want to go to it, can i call up universities who are in the clearing process and get a verbal offer and then ask my firm to reject me?

Universities can (and i believe are supposed to) refuse to speak to you with no clearing number, but if you exceed your firm offer you'll have the risk free option of using adjustment anyway. If you're sure you dont want to go there now, better to get things sorted now than wait to results day.
Yes, I'm fairly sure you can do this. Sometime people get better grades than they expect and "upgrade". Why do you suddenly not like your firm offer?
Reply 3
Hey,

By firming your uni you sort of form a contract with them - if you get the grades, thats the uni you go to. But you can negotiate a release from your place and it can take a few days, then after you cant change your mind and go back to your firm uni
Hey,

If you don't want to go to your firm university then it's much better to try to arrange now to change your choices. Waiting until results day is very risky - you're bottom of the priority list for your firm, other universities are forbidden from talking to you by UCAS (some will anyway but even if they will talk to you then by the time you get put into clearing officially there may well be no places left)....and for any university your chances of getting accommodation are a LOT slimmer.

If you exceed your firm then adjustment is an option but it isn't a GOOD option. You get 5 days (calendar days) from results to use adjustment so it is rushed, most universities don't understand how it works, there's a high risk again of ending up without accommodation.

Which university/course are you hoping to switch to (and what is your current firm)? Have you already applied to the university/course you're hoping to go to or is it a new choice?
Reply 5
Original post by Elivercury
Yes, I'm fairly sure you can do this. Sometime people get better grades than they expect and "upgrade". Why do you suddenly not like your firm offer?

I want to go city university and do Sociology and criminology instead of doing psychology in Brunel. But I don't know. It's not that I don't like it I would just prefer to go city its closer and much better. :frown: I just hope I can try convince them without getting a release first.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
If you don't want to go to your firm university then it's much better to try to arrange now to change your choices. Waiting until results day is very risky - you're bottom of the priority list for your firm, other universities are forbidden from talking to you by UCAS (some will anyway but even if they will talk to you then by the time you get put into clearing officially there may well be no places left)....and for any university your chances of getting accommodation are a LOT slimmer.

If you exceed your firm then adjustment is an option but it isn't a GOOD option. You get 5 days (calendar days) from results to use adjustment so it is rushed, most universities don't understand how it works, there's a high risk again of ending up without accommodation.

Which university/course are you hoping to switch to (and what is your current firm)? Have you already applied to the university/course you're hoping to go to or is it a new choice?

I applied to Brunel for psychology. And want to switch to City and do either psychology or sociology and criminology. But it seems kind of impossible. Don't want to risk getting released and then not getting into any uni.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Universities can (and i believe are supposed to) refuse to speak to you with no clearing number, but if you exceed your firm offer you'll have the risk free option of using adjustment anyway. If you're sure you dont want to go there now, better to get things sorted now than wait to results day.

what can i do ?
what can i do ?

Either you leave your firm choice before results or you hope you can find something through adjustment really.
Or you cancel your application, and reapply next year with a clearer idea of what you want to do - and where you want to do it.
I applied to Brunel for psychology. And want to switch to City and do either psychology or sociology and criminology. But it seems kind of impossible. Don't want to risk getting released and then not getting into any uni.

Was City one of your original choices?

Have you spoken to them (as in - ring them up, today and explain that you haven't applied to them but are interested in a place and want to know if you have a chance of an offer).
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Was City one of your original choices?

Have you spoken to them (as in - ring them up, today and explain that you haven't applied to them but are interested in a place and want to know if you have a chance of an offer).

Nope wasn't is my choices. But i think i will call them up and ask. Thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending