The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Achaea
Exactly, it's like switch off your brain, switch off your empathy, if this 'holy' book written by primitive superstitious barbarians says something is good then it must be good, even if it means raping children. Terrifying that people think like this.
I guess Jimmy Savile was a devout Christian then?
Original post by BasharAssad
I guess Jimmy Savile was a devout Christian then?

Buh buh buh but what about but what but what about but what about? But what about teh Christianz? Always the last resort of those with no argument. Always the last resort of those trying to deflect criticism of the nastiness of Islam. I don't recall Savile claiming to be a prophet of god, or anyone saying that he had perfect divine objective morality. If they did, prove it. If they didn't, stop using the abuse of dozens of young girls to make a stupid cheap irrelevant point.
Good for questioning, there are many horrible, illogical parts of Islam and perhaps it's not the best idea to follow a religion that considers you inferior as a woman.
I started doubting my face when I found out I wasn't allowed to ****
Faith*
Any other Muslims that feel the same? Should I seek deeper knowledge?
Original post by Hydeman
The first thing is for you to decide whether you believe in a god, and whether you believe Allah to be the only real one.

If the answer to both of those is yes, then it's simply a case of conceding that whatever Allah has decreed must be moral, even if it is not palatable to your own sense of justice. But if you've decided that there are no gods or at least that Allah isn't one, then the logical position to take is 'I don't know', until you figure out what exactly you believe.

Also, despite what you may be told, consulting an imam, a person with an obvious vested interest in stopping people from leaving Islam, is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Good luck. :beard:

I still believe in God. I just don't believe in any religion anymore. For me God does exist, but religion is man made and was a way to control people and society.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Omgsh.
If the religion isn't making you happy leave but also pray for guidance.

It's not so easy. I'd miss the community aspect of it and my family are religious. Furthermore, I believe in God. I don't think Islam makes me unhappy but SOME of the teachings and practices do. And like I said there's also some beautiful parts.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think she's real. Shes trying to make her religion look oppressive to her. Heres are some things you haven't considered. The husband's duty is to love, clothe, provide, show care, speak softly, comfort, compliment and love his wife. He is religiously obliged to satisfy his wife in bed regardless of whether he has been satisfied himself and even after reaching orgasm. He has to respect her rights and treat her body with respect - he isn't allowed to have sex with her before foreplay, he isn't allowed to force himself onto her. He isn't allowed to engage is anal sex = bad for health, unhygienic and painful. He isn't allowed to have her sex with her during her periods. Sounds very oppressive to me.

How about that a women will be cursed by the Angels if she refuses to sleep with him?

In your opinion, is it ok for men particularly much older men to take brides as young as 6?hoe would you feel if your 6 years old sister, neice, cousin etc got married off to a man over 50 years old? This is allowed you know.
I still believe in God. I just don't believe in any religion anymore. For me God does exist, but religion is man made and was a way to control people and society.

You should read up on deism and see how you feel about it. :smile:

It's not so easy. I'd miss the community aspect of it and my family are religious. Furthermore, I believe in God. I don't think Islam makes me unhappy but SOME of the teachings and practices do. And like I said there's also some beautiful parts.

This isn't addressed to me, but I would say that, family circumstances permitting, you could retain the community aspect by simply becoming a 'cultural Muslim' at home, at least for the time being.
Not at all and neither do the vast majority of muslims. These type of marriages take place in a small minority of poor countries amongst a minority of uneducated people. You're not very bright are you? I'm simply debunking her claim that Islam is somehow oppressive towards her or women in general. Quite clearly it isn't if the same rules apply to men as well.

Same rules hardly apply to men. Men can have 4 wives, can expand their options and marry people of the book, a husband must be obeyed, a disobedient wife can be hit by her husband to discipline her as a last resort, a woman can't even leave the house without a male relative, men get 72 Virgin females, men don't have to cover up head to toe, a males testimony is worth more, more inheritance, adultery is wrong but it ok for them to keep sex slaves during war etc.

How is the above the same treatment?
Original post by Robby2312
I agree that shes ignoring the real issue which is whether Islam is true or not.However you're saying that if its true then she doesnt need to worry about it being sexist.Dont you see anything wrong with that.How about if it says in the quran that its ok to kill unbelievers?By your logic thats ok because Islam is true and God said it was ok.If Islam is sexist then its evidence that its not true because a perfect God wouldnt be sexist.Its much more likely to be written by man.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence you should remember that.For example muhhameds journey to heaven on a winged horse or Jesus's ressurection.The only evidence for that claim is that somebody,we dont even know who wrote it down in a book a long time ago. whats more likely to happen the laws of the entire universe suspend themselves for an hour or that a man lies.Men have been shown to lie all the time.The laws of physics have never stopped working even for a day.

"Because a perfect God wouldn't..." is just one imposing their limited and flawed understanding onto an infinitely more complex and knowledgeable being than ourselves and is therefore clearly wrong; there are some things we would expect a God to be e.g. Knowledgeable, Wise, Just, Merciful etc, but for finer details, that's pushing it. Ask the most knowledgeable Muslims on earth what does "Alif Laam Meem" mean and listen to their answer - they will all say that they do not know. Muslims recite the verses of Allah every day, yet they don't know what these letters mean at the start of surahs, so how is it that anyone could think that they know better than Allah when they already accept the fact they don't?

If 'miracles' conformed to physics, it would cease to be a miracle, so what actually is your point?
(edited 7 years ago)
Any other Muslims that feel the same? Should I seek deeper knowledge?

You should seek deeper knowledge alongside what I have advised before because your knowledge seems limited atm with all due respect. You appear to understand some things and not others which would indicate that you haven't looked into them much e.g. what women get in Jannah, why some laws are there etc. Furthermore, if you claim that religions were made by people to control societies, you have to delve into the intentions of the people who founded these religions; rather I find this a cop out by people who want a lazy way of disregarding religion. Indeed it might be true that people further down the line have manipulated people using religion (e.g. later kings), but at the start of each religion, I doubt you'd find evidence for this to be the case for the founding generations. I think your research is limited and your thoughts based therefrom even more so, therefore please reread my other advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
"Mohammed didnt consummate the marriage before she'd reached puberty" - that sentence put frankly =1.6 billion people in the world worship a man who had sex with a child and had no qualms about it, who single handedly murdered several hundred after one battle alone and yes, who treated women as objects etc etc etc. You're right to say that isnt right. If you werent born into Islam, would you actually join it now?

the comments saying that atheism must rise - why? not all religions are bad, Christians praise a man who said love thy neighbour, Buddhists praise a man who wanted total equality etc the list goes on.

Any well-read, free-thinking person knows that for the reason you pointed out, Islam isnt great... thats a diplomatic way of putting it. and the worse part is, so many wont leave it because Islamic culture doesnt teach free-thinking or tolerance, it says quite literally death to the apostates.
I was born and raised Muslim. The faith has a lot of good things about it.

However recently, I am starting to have doubts. I'm not as religious as I used to be. Particularly being a female, I find some parts of Islam extremely sexist.

For example women have to cover up, men can take up to 4 wives, Muslim women must only marry Muslim men, underage girls are allowed to marry as soon as start puberty ,women aren't allowed to leave the house without a male relative, women will make up the majority in hellfire because they are ungrateful to their husbands , sex slaves are permissible during war, woman's testimony often counts half of a man's testimony, women inheritance half that of a man, a woman must always obey her husband etc.

But I've read up on all the above and I do appreciate some of them give good reasons as to why. But one thing I can't get over is the fact our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) married Aisha (r.a) when she was only 6 years old. The reason I've heard include those were the times it happened a lot then, She contributed to the spread of Muhammad's(pbuh) message and served the Muslim community for 44 years after his death, the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old etc. It's really hard for me to overlook.

But seriously if some joe public did that everyone would find it disgusting. What makes it a problem for me is that men are meant to follow the sunnah of the prophet. This means it's ok for Muslim men to take underage bride. It happens a lot in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.

I'm just starting to lose my faith a little and it is mostly to do with its attitude towards women.

It's okay if you feel that way... :smile: I guess we are bought up in a certain way and told certain things. Then one day we wake up and realise that maybe we don't agree with it. And that's okay. :smile:

There's nothing wrong with questioning stuff. You can still be a Muslim and not believe in certain things. There no 'rules' against this. It isn't like there's one thing that everyone must do whatever happens. With religion and life... People do whatever suits them best.
Original post by Zamestaneh
"Because a perfect God wouldn't..." is just one imposing their limited and flawed understanding onto an infinitely more complex and knowledgeable being than ourselves and is therefore clearly wrong; there are some things we would expect a God to be e.g. Knowledgeable, Wise, Just, Merciful etc, but for finer details, that's pushing it. Ask the most knowledgeable Muslims on earth what does "Alif Laam Meem" mean and listen to their answer - they will all say that they do not know. Muslims recite the verses of Allah every day, yet they don't know what these letters mean at the start of surahs, so how is it that anyone could think that they know better than Allah when they already accept the fact they don't?

If 'miracles' conformed to physics, it would cease to be a miracle, so what actually is your point?

If God isnt benevolent then whats the point in worshipping him?You say you would expect God to be merciful and Just but is it just or merciful to punish people infinitely for finite crimes.The fact that God is often shown to be angry or jealous in religous books shows that humans are just projecting their emotions onto God.If god actually existed he wouldnt be so petty.Man created god not the other way around.My point was obvious.Its much more likely a man lied about a miracle that broke the laws of physics than that the laws of physics were actually broken.Weve seen men lie all time.Ive never seen a miracle occur.
Original post by sulaimanali
Islam isn't sexist to women..do more research. There's a reason for everything...do you know why (those things u listed above) are the way they are?

Nothing sexist about domestic abuse to enforce gender segregation and sexual slavery.
Take a look at the extraordinary achievements of physics, notice how much proof is required for even the smallest details.

Take a look at the extraordinary claims of religion, notice how it discourages critical thought for even the smallest details.

Surely a house built on good foundations won't collapse when the first stone is cast?
Original post by Robby2312
If God isnt benevolent then whats the point in worshipping him? You say you would expect God to be merciful and Just but is it just or merciful to punish people infinitely for finite crimes.The fact that God is often shown to be angry or jealous in religous books shows that humans are just projecting their emotions onto God.If god actually existed he wouldnt be so petty. Man created god not the other way around. My point was obvious. Its much more likely a man lied about a miracle that broke the laws of physics than that the laws of physics were actually broken. Weve seen men lie all time. Ive never seen a miracle occur.

God is benevolent, but just because we cannot fully and wholly comprehend the extent of an attribute of God, then that does not mean that God does not have that attribute. In fact this same argument could be extended to your other point about God's other attributes... The only punishment that God (in Islam) punishes infinitely for is Shirk/Kufr, I think, but these things are not truly finite - they are finite in that death ends the life of the one who commits these things, but these sins are things which define the state of the person forever. I will give an example of what I mean: A man commits murder once and he dies. That man gets punished for a length of time as the price of that life that he took. A different man disbelieves and he dies. That man's disbelief was not committed once - it was an ongoing state of being. That person gets an ongoing punishment.

Latest

Trending

Trending