The Student Room Group

Does student satisfaction matter?

Having a bit of a breakdown after seeing 2 of the unis I'm applying to having worryingly low student satisfaction - UCL (Medical Physics) and Edinburgh (Physics with a Year Abroad).

Also, should I email university departments regarding their low student satisfaction, or it would it be kinda rude?
Nah, who cares about student satisfaction? Certainly not us students! :biggrin:
Original post by DarkEnergy
Having a bit of a breakdown after seeing 2 of the unis I'm applying to having worryingly low student satisfaction - UCL (Medical Physics) and Edinburgh (Physics with a Year Abroad).

Also, should I email university departments regarding their low student satisfaction, or it would it be kinda rude?

Have a look at the breakdown of questions on unistats. If the answers are low for questions you're worried about then it's absolutely fine to contact universities and ask what's happening to sort out the problems.

Something like "I noticed on unistats that only 30% of finalists for this course agreed that "feedback has been prompt". Can you let me know if anything is being done to resolve this?"

If it's a blip then they'll be able to reassure you, if they're changing the way the course is delivered they'll be able to reassure you. And if they can't reassure you then at least you start the course with your eyes open about what you will be getting.
We agree with PQ, it's worth contacting the university. League tables can be a good indicator, but sometimes you really have to drill down in the data, and the headline figure shouldn't always be taken at face value. Sometimes it is based on a small sample, so it's worth reading reviews on other websites (TSR for instance) or figures on Unistats.

Everyone has different ideas of what makes a good university for them. Is it the general university rankings like the Complete University Guide or Times/Sunday Times league tables? Or the school based league tables? Student experience or student satisfaction? Or is it factors like cost of living in a city, the price of accommodation, the location, distance from home, etc.

It's not rude to ask these questions, universities should be acting on the feedback they receive :smile:
Reply 4

Original post by University of East Anglia
-

Many thanks to both of you!
Original post by DarkEnergy

Definitely ask them about this. If you went to a university with low student satisfaction then you could be one of the students with less satisfaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending