The Student Room Group

Help me pick a Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Oh yikes in that case I’ll have to rethink wether I’d wanna go for Masaryk University or Charles university in HK

Well actually lol there's a Masaryk student here now, he can probably give you better & much more accurate information than I can.
Original post by Omar55555
I would strongly advise against Masaryk University if I were you, they have a very high dropout rate (but an amazing campus). I think they're higher than Charles HK, but at the end, it is your decision

High dropout rate for a number of reasons - chief of them being students lack of preparedness. Contrary to a lot of gossip on this forum, it really comes down to mindset. Lack of faculty support (pastoral help etc) and the mentality of "here's the material, here are your exams... go and study" from the teaching staff means that around 50% of 1st year students simply aren't ready for the intensity of studying medicine in a university that offers little help outside of the classroom (unless you ask for it).

I'm a current student at Masaryk University and speak from personal experience when I say that it is tough here but very very doable if you're disciplined and know when to stop chilling and start studying.

Happy to answer questions here or on social media - Deelan Vadher
I would strongly advise against Masaryk University if I were you, they have a very high dropout rate (but an amazing campus). I think they're higher than Charles HK, but at the end, it is your decision

Do you know where I can find the exact statistics btw?
Original post by Darth197
High dropout rate for a number of reasons - chief of them being students lack of preparedness. Contrary to a lot of gossip on this forum, it really comes down to mindset. Lack of faculty support (pastoral help etc) and the mentality of "here's the material, here are your exams... go and study" from the teaching staff means that around 50% of 1st year students simply aren't ready for the intensity of studying medicine in a university that offers little help outside of the classroom (unless you ask for it).

I'm a current student at Masaryk University and speak from personal experience when I say that it is tough here but very very doable if you're disciplined and know when to stop chilling and start studying.

So in your opinion do you think HK provide better help/support outside the classroom?
Original post by Darth197

By the way, are you a part of the Czech medical program or the English one?

Yeah definitely, it's doable - the prime example of having Masaryk graduates in the world can prove that. And I agree with you on the student preparedness part, most of them are not prepared. I've read student reviews about Masaryk and most of them tend to fault the examination technique that is very diffiicult for the students, which is something I've come across with other students in other universities but I felt that it was much more stronger from Masaryk students.

Yeah definitely, it's doable - the prime example of having Masaryk graduates in the world can prove that. And I agree with you on the student preparedness part, most of them are not prepared. I've read student reviews about Masaryk and most of them tend to fault the examination technique that is very diffiicult for the students, which is something I've come across with other students in other universities but I felt that it was much more stronger from Masaryk students.

Yessss also I’ve heard a lot about how students who did A levels or IB underestimate how hard the faculty can be and I don’t how to feel about that because I don’t think high school pressure/stress can be equivalent this faculty’s level of pressure

English programme (I'm from London)
Guys, I just received an offer from the university of Szeged. Does it have a similar reputation to Charles? Are the passing rates better? What are the pros and cons of each?
Original post by Sarthak Modh
Guys, I just received an offer from the university of Szeged. Does it have a similar reputation to Charles? Are the passing rates better? What are the pros and cons of each?

Someone that goes to the University of Debrecen (medical student) recommended that this university is very good (in her opinion, best in Hungary). Although, I've heard other students say it is horrible and has very low dropout rates (like I heard that only a few passed until the fourth year). So it is your decision :smile: it seems nice though but I personally heard very mixed responses (I was going to apply but at the end I didn't)
Someone that goes to the University of Debrecen (medical student) recommended that this university is very good (in her opinion, best in Hungary). Although, I've heard other students say it is horrible and has very low dropout rates (like I heard that only a few passed until the fourth year). So it is your decision :smile: it seems nice though but I personally heard very mixed responses (I was going to apply but at the end I didn't)

Ohhkaay, are the dropout rates as bad as czech universities?
Ohhkaay, are the dropout rates as bad as czech universities?

Not really sure, only a Szeged student can confirm I guess. I only read one review of someone saying that it has bad dropout rates (apparently one of their modules/subject is so difficult that rarely anyone passes it, around 3rd or 4th year). When I was researching it, I found it difficult to find reviews for some reason (could be a good thing where everyone is happy, or could be a bad thing where everyone has ended up failing lol).
If that review is accurate, then it would be much worse than Czech universities
I am Czech, and i would like to shine some light on why is the dropout so high from czech student perspective... but disclaimer, i am a high school student and i am not interested in medicine much, but i know some people who are. So, this is more general than medicine specific.
So, the thing is, for us, czech students, university is free. So lot of people go to uni, because, why not. I don't know if the dropouts rate you looked at were outright from medicine or overall, but if overall from whole uni, then don't believe them much. There are people who go to uni just because you can get lots of student discounts, especialy on transport, with a student card. So they go to uni, get the card, and never attend lectures or show up on campus. That is, of course, not the case for medicine, cause it is super hard to get into.

So now in case these dropout statistic were specific for medicine... In that case, what i think is real deal breaker, is that at majority of high schools, you don't really do that much of independent learning. Yes, we have to learn independently for Maturita (equivalent of A levels), however, lot of people cram things in short amount of time and are not prepared for having to learn over time. Also, i think it is incredibely easy to get distracted by the free time. I am doing Maturita next year, and i spend on average 8 hours a day in class, plus transport (2-3 hours depending on the day, because i live in a village). Now, school is cancelled, and i can see how super easy it is to waste all that time. We are not really led to effective time management. When you add to this that there are lot of parties at uni (cause yay, no parents around), you have to do all your chores yourself, you have to get a part-time job in many cases and generaly, you have to be an adult now... well, people drop out.
Also, big portion of exams is oral. Which is terrible, one exam can last 3 hours or more (according to more than just one of my teachers and several older friends) Also, your examiner is not in a good mood? Too bad.

Sorry for any mistakes :smile:
Yes, I think that is true, it may be due to the lack of preparedness of students and too much distractions and procrastination that the dropout rate is so high, yet I can't still grasp how it can be so astonishingly unbelievable.
Reply 33
Hi please could you tell me how you studied for the entrance exam and if there are past paper questions for the entrance exam like a booklet with all the questions etc

I want to know that out of the three Charles Faculties, which one would be better, the First Faculty, Second or HK?

Also include Palacky and Masaryk in the comparison because I cannot decide between them.

I have received acceptances from Masaryk already, and am expecting Palacky and HK to send one soon.

Thanks in advance
Hi, I'm an international student from Nigeria. Is anyone interested in creating a group chat like on Instagram or something? So we can get to know our future classmates hopefully or just ask questions and share information in General.

PM me if you are!
Original post by lizzyebe
Hi, I'm an international student from Nigeria. Is anyone interested in creating a group chat like on Instagram or something? So we can get to know our future classmates hopefully or just ask questions and share information in General.

PM me if you are!

Hey, I recently got my offer from LFHK and think this is a great idea to get people familiarized before even setting foot in the Czech Republic! Definitely interested in being added~
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I recently got my offer from LFHK and think this is a great idea to get people familiarized before even setting foot in the Czech Republic! Definitely interested in being added~

Great, just send me a pm!

I am a final year Szeged student. Szeged has a very high dropout rate, like 150 people in first year and 60 people graduating. I personally repeated a year. Szeged is also a very small town and there isn't anything to do(if that matters to you) When it comes to hungary, I would recommend Debrecen as the dropout rate is much lower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending