The Student Room Group

how unhealthy is 2 diet sodas a day?

As title?

I drink it for the caffeine but I'm worried all the chemicals might be having a bad impact on my body.

Usually 1 diet coke and 1 diet dr. pepper.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why not drink other caffeinated drinks like coffee? Diet Soda is very unhealthy, there aren't any health benefits to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Quack#1
Why not drink other caffeinated drinks like coffee? Diet Soda is very unhealthy, there aren't any health benefits to it.

I have GERD so coffee and tea make me throw up. :sigh:
Reply 3
Just researched it. I can understand why you choose Diet Soda now.

Maybe this will help?
Reply 4
Original post by Quack#1
Just researched it. I can understand why you choose Diet Soda now.

Maybe this will help?

I can't drink most of those. And the energy drink value is well off. I buy Aldi 300mg caffeine diet energy drinks occasionally. I don't want to drink that too often as I know that's way too much caffeine but if I'm going swimming after work sometimes I indulge. :tongue:
I'm not sure how healthy or unhealthy diet sodas are, I'm allergic to the artificial sweeteners and drink the classic full sugar versions.
But friends with GERD say that they felt a lot better after ditching the caffeine and stopping diet drinks with artificial sweeteners.
They tended to go for caffeine-free herbal teas, homemade dairy free smoothies, fruit juices and coconut water.
The three most popular teas were chamomile, ginger and licorice.
Good luck!
Original post by Sabertooth
As title?

I drink it for the caffeine but I'm worried all the chemicals might be having a bad impact on my body.

Broadly, they're not very good for you at all. But then, caffeine isn't good for you either, particularly if you're taking it in quantities like this every day (albeit for different reasons). I know it's not the reason why you made the thread and I don't want to intrude when you didn't ask about this (which is your invitation to not answer or brush this off if you want to), but why do you need caffeine at all?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Broadly, they're not very good for you at all. But then, caffeine isn't good for you either, particularly if you're taking it in quantities like this every day (albeit for different reasons). I know it's not the reason why you made the thread and I don't want to intrude when you didn't ask about this (which is your invitation to not answer or brush this off if you want to), but why do you need caffeine at all?

I take sedating medication. Without a morning coke I fall asleep at my desk at work and I don't want to get fired. I usually then have another after lunch to keep me going the rest of the day. The medication can't be changed otherwise I would.
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
I'm not sure how healthy or unhealthy diet sodas are, I'm allergic to the artificial sweeteners and drink the classic full sugar versions.
But friends with GERD say that they felt a lot better after ditching the caffeine and stopping diet drinks with artificial sweeteners.
They tended to go for caffeine-free herbal teas, homemade dairy free smoothies, fruit juices and coconut water.
The three most popular teas were chamomile, ginger and licorice.
Good luck!

Hmm, I don't think that would work. I have had GERD for a number of years (even had surgery for the "worst case" the doctor had ever seen) whereas the diet soda habit has only been going on since November.

What do your friends do for energy?
As title?

They are definitely better for you than the full sugar versions. Just make sure you are using a straw or rinse your mouth afterwards to protect your teeth.

I can't drink most of those. And the energy drink value is well off. I buy Aldi 300mg caffeine diet energy drinks occasionally. I don't want to drink that too often as I know that's way too much caffeine but if I'm going swimming after work sometimes I indulge. :tongue:

Have you tried caffeine tablets?
Original post by black tea
They are definitely better for you than the full sugar versions. Just make sure you are using a straw or rinse your mouth afterwards to protect your teeth.

Have you tried caffeine tablets?

I thought the lack of sugar meant it doesn't hurt your teeth?

I have not tried caffeine tablets. That might be an idea....:bead:
I thought the lack of sugar meant it doesn't hurt your teeth?

I have not tried caffeine tablets. That might be an idea....:bead:

The acid in them is really bad for your teeth. But still better that sugar plus acid lol

I find that I don't get as much of a kick from them as I would from coffee, but they make me feel similar to how I feel after I've had an energy drink. So if energy drinks help you, may be worth a shot.
Hmm, I don't think that would work. I have had GERD for a number of years (even had surgery for the "worst case" the doctor had ever seen) whereas the diet soda habit has only been going on since November.

What do your friends do for energy?

Their favourite drinks for energy are homemade shakes.
Mostly banana, dairy free shamrock shake with spinach no mint or very vanilla with some cacao or dairy free whipped cream.
Reply 13
Not especially healthy but could be far worse tbh, i guess it depends if theyre just the small cans or the monster sized ones as well though
Better than the non diet ones in your scenario. Nothing inherently unhealthy about them either other than the teeth thing.
Original post by londonmyst
Their favourite drinks for energy are homemade shakes.
Mostly banana, dairy free shamrock shake with spinach no mint or very vanilla with some cacao or dairy free whipped cream.

That sounds nice but I can't make that at work. The office fridge is tiny plus there's no caffeine there so I don't think it would keep me awake.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm going to start using a straw. But it's good someone else is managing ok on this!
Original post by black tea
The acid in them is really bad for your teeth. But still better that sugar plus acid lol

I find that I don't get as much of a kick from them as I would from coffee, but they make me feel similar to how I feel after I've had an energy drink. So if energy drinks help you, may be worth a shot.

I looked at caffeine pills on Amazon. Lots of the reviews point to poor quality control - pills missing, not being as much caffeine as advertised/just doesn't work. Where do you buy them from?
I drink 10+ coffee's a day, lol. Highly tolerant I guess.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by random_matt
I drink 10+ coffee's a day, lol. Highly tolerant I guess.

Black?

Quick Reply

Latest