The Student Room Group

Pete's attempt at a blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
FYI I rack pull from slightly (like 1-2cm) below the knee. Just remember that on rack pulls your start position will be slightly more over the bar than on normal deadlifts. Don't tray and get in the normal deadlift start position like I did at first!
Reply 81
thanks for the tips, will try rack pulls next time
Reply 82
Update

Clean + push press

20kg*lots
40kg*5
52.5kg*3 (PB)
55kg*3 (PB)
50kg*3

strict Overhead press (while i had the bar, why not)

40kg*5 (PB, maybe)

I wanted to get 40kg*5 just incase my previous 5RM for strict OHP was with the 15kg bar

Squat

warm up (pause squats)
105kg*5 (PB),1

Since assuming all previous numbers were lower another PB. Lost all tightness in my core on the second set so called it a day.

Deadlift

70kg*6
100kg*3
120kg*2
150kg*5(+10 second hold) (PB)
120kg*11

I couldnt remember if i was supposed to be aiming for 147.5 or 150, so i decided to go for the heavier one and see if i got the reps, and i did :biggrin:

Pull up (singular)
Chin up (singular)

A sign i truely maxed myself out on deadlifts
Original post by Monkey_Pete
I thought i would join a blog so i can keep a track of my lifts as they are changing

I started lifting at the beginning of January. Been doing a SS based thing, while cutting. The reason for this is that i have got fat in my years at uni so far (not that i have ever been buff, i was skinny till about 14, then became the podgy kid almost overnight, and haven't gone back since).

My aim is to improve my Cardio fitness and my practical strength, and get rid of the belly that has stuck with me for years. Once i have got rid of the belly it will be then focusing on strength and cardio.

starting statistics in january

Height 6ft
Weight 85kg

Lifts (all 5RM from first attempts when i first went in jan)
Bench 50
Squat 45 (i ended up slightly injuring myself on my first attempt at squats, which is why i didnt get any higher)
deadlift 80
OHP 30
Chins *1
pull ups *0

lifts when blog created
(all 5RM apart from chins)

Weight 82kg

Bench 55kg
Squat 87.5kg
Deadlift 120kg
OHP 40kg
Chins (bw) *4
Pull ups (bw) *1

5K run 26mins 06 seconds

Current numbers
(11/06/2011) (now adjusted to counter possibly having been using a 15kg bar at times)
Squat 102.5kg*5 (115kg*1)
Deadlift 147.5kg*5 (165kg*1)
Bench 65kg*5
Chins BW*6
Pull ups BW*3

My plan is to keep track of this here. There is also a rivalry going on between me and Mhorman who is my younger bro, who weights less, but is lifting more. My excuse is that he started lifting on a bulk, and i have started on a cut.

Today i got 3 PB's, which were 120dead up from 115 on tuesday, 40OHP up from 37.5kg where it had stalled for a few weeks, and chins up to 4 from 3 (shockingly)

SS based workout? As in :fuhrer:
Reply 84
Original post by PendulumBoB
SS based workout? As in :fuhrer:

Starting strength
Original post by Monkey_Pete
Starting strength

Ow, good luck anyway.
Reply 86
Update (from yesterday, but no internet due to moving)

Front squat

warm up
60kg*5 (PB)

clean and Press

warm up
50kg*3
57.5kg*2 (1RM PB)

clean@50kg then 40kg *lots for practice

leg extension

40kg*5,5 into drop set

Bench

warm up
60kg*3*5
Reply 87
update

squat

20kg*lots
40kg*5
60kg*3
80kg*3
100kg*3
105kg*3
110kg*3
112.5kg*2

Bench

20kg*lots
40kg*5
60kg*3
65kg*3
67.5kg*3

leg extension

50kg*5,5,10

leg press

warm up
150kg*5,5

chins

BW*5,4
Reply 88
Update (from yesterday)

Front Squat

20kg*lots
40kg*5
50kg*5
60kg*5
70kg*5 (PB)

Normal Squat

110kg*2

Clean and Press

20kg*lots
40kg*5 (strict)
50kg*3 (push)
60kg*1 (PB)

Bench

warm up
67.5kg*4
60kg*5

i went for the 5th rep at 67.5 and got stuck about two inches off my chest, and was there for about 8 seconds before i realised it was going nowhere, gave up and slammed it into the lowest rung on the rack just above my face. i had to mong up the previous rep so i kinda knew i wasnt going to do it, but wanted to get a new 5RM.

Leg extension

warm up
60kg*5,5,10

Gonna go up another 10kg next next time

Chins

BW*5,4

Pull ups

BW*2

After all this i went to kickboxing training in the evening, and completely destroyed my legs, got to the point where my legs were burning and i was not even able to do a BW squat without lots of pain in my glutes
How are you enjoying front squatting? My bench is epically slow to increase, most frustrating lift of all.
Reply 90
Original post by Break To Build
How are you enjoying front squatting? My bench is epically slow to increase, most frustrating lift of all.

Its interesting.

I am finding it tough to keep my elbows up, and the weight feels very heavy on my shoulders once its rested there.

Bit disappointed by the relatively low weight atm (but ramping it up each time i go). That is why i banged out the back squat at 110kg after the front squats yesterday, cos i know i can do the heavier weights, and some curl bro's were watching me from the bench where they had racked up 75kg just a bit higher than i was front squating at the time.

Going to keep doing them, going to aim for once a week front squats, once a week 3*5 back squats and once a week heavy triples back squat

Also my bench seems to have been epicly slow to increase also, so far every other lift has nearly doubled from when i first started, whereas bench has gone up the smallest amount of weight and lowest percentage (probably cos i don't bench enough)
Reply 91
I think a lot of people (including myself) find benching to be very slow at progressing, but this is only because the are lots of bench/curlers who have quite high benches so we perceive ours to be low.
Reply 92
Update

Excuses out the way, ill with a really painful sorethroat, hurts to talk, drink or eat, stopped me going gym at all yesterday. also only had 5 hours sleep last night (got home from work at 2am, delivery guy arrived at 9am to deliver new sofas, and i had to empty all the boxes out the lounge before he got there.

Squat

warmup
102.5*5,5,3

Bench

warmup
70kg*1 (PB)
60kg*5,5

OHP

warmup
40kg*3,3
Reply 93
You built a fort yet? Build one and spend the rest of the day recovering :yes:
Reply 94
well, when i was at the gym a new mattress got delivered, so i had to get that up the stairs when i got back, but then put the old one over the four single seater sofa chairs and made an awesome fort. my girlfriend disagreed with the placement, but she can't move it so its staying there for now

also cant spend rest of day recovering as going to kickboxing in an hour
Reply 95
Update

Squat

warm up
102.5*3

dunno what happened, just couldnt squat today, might have been due to kickboxing +drinking the night before, gonna bash them out next time

OHP

warm up
42.5kg*5,5,4

Think that might be a PB for OHP

Power Cleans

warmup
60kg*3,3

My form went crap when a girl from the swim squat started doing ab roll outs immediately infront of me, whilst wearing very tight leggings. so decided to leave it there before i made an arse out of myself
Reply 96
Update

Squat

warm up
102.5kg*3*5

Bench

warmup
70kg*3
65kg*5
60kg*4

Deadlift

warmup
145kg*5,4

Went with a lower weight with this as i hadnt deadlifted in ages, but beasted it up so gonna go heavy again next time

Leg extension

70kg*5,5

No knee problems any more. i guess the doc was right that i needed to strengthen my quads, and it seems i may have done so enough, yay

Chins

BW*5,3
Reply 97
Update

Squat

warmup
105kg*5,5,5

Bench

warmup
65kg*5,4,4

nearly

deadlift

warmup
150kg*5
130kg*7

There was some fairly massively looking rugby player type guy deadlifting at the same time, but only 120, beasting out the gym

Chins

BW(86)*3
Reply 98
Lol I read that as you did 86 chins.
Reply 99
Original post by Becca
Lol I read that as you did 86 chins.

that would have been quite the dramatic improvement

Quick Reply

Latest