The Student Room Group

How can I achieve my dream body?

I want to be a size 12, I used to be a size 6/8 and hated it. Then I started eating lots and managed to be a size 10. I have curves now but my belly fat is showing.

I can't do squats because my knees are bad and I don't want to make it worse. I do swim and run.

I know when I exercise I will lose fat evenly, as there's no exercise that only aims for belly fat.

I eat healthy food and drink lots of water.

So can anyone give me advice on how to be a size 12 with no belly fat, thanks.
Reply 1
If your knees are bad you shouldn't be running, that's the worst thing you can do for your knees. You absolutely should squat - you need to strengthen your quads to support your knees.

For your tummy, do lots of high-rep high-speed exercises such as crunches, heel touches, bicycle pedals. Don't forget your sit-ups, Russian twists, side crunches too - and plank! Plank's a bitch but brilliant for your tummy, as are full push-ups!

Try to entirely cut out refined sugars - basically eat clean. It's the only way to shift fat - training hard works to a point but the stubborn fat will only be shifted through clean eating.
Reply 2
Clean eating won't make her lose weight if she's still eating in a caloric surplus. You need to be eating less calories than you burn.

Basically eat less and exercise more whether that be swimming or running.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You ain't gonna do **** without working hard and eating healthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah I'd say eat healthily and drink lots of water. Also, if you get cravings for not so healthy foods like crisps etc, substitute it with a healthier alternative which has the same effect. (There is like a whole chart of healthy substitutes for common cravings and it's great!)

Do exercises based on which area of your body you'd like to tone, but it won't really work if you don't eat healthily etc because you will get really tired and you need to stay motivated.

Good Luck!!
how tall are you? i think size 6/8 is a really good size which a lot of girls strive to achieve (for average heights) - any pics of before/after?

why do you want to get bigger?

you can't go from size 10 to size 12 and expect to lose fat. you will need to decide your priority - losing fat or gaining muscle

Original post by Metropolis
you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, though you can get stronger while burning fat. What's your top priority?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by abc101
If your knees are bad you shouldn't be running, that's the worst thing you can do for your knees. You absolutely should squat - you need to strengthen your quads to support your knees.

For your tummy, do lots of high-rep high-speed exercises such as crunches, heel touches, bicycle pedals. Don't forget your sit-ups, Russian twists, side crunches too - and plank! Plank's a bitch but brilliant for your tummy, as are full push-ups!

Try to entirely cut out refined sugars - basically eat clean. It's the only way to shift fat - training hard works to a point but the stubborn fat will only be shifted through clean eating.

I didn't know running was bad for my knees, thank you for the information :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Clean eating won't make her lose weight if she's still eating in a caloric surplus. You need to be eating less calories than you burn.

Basically eat less and exercise more whether that be swimming or running.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 8
Original post by Mango3
Yeah I'd say eat healthily and drink lots of water. Also, if you get cravings for not so healthy foods like crisps etc, substitute it with a healthier alternative which has the same effect. (There is like a whole chart of healthy substitutes for common cravings and it's great!)

Do exercises based on which area of your body you'd like to tone, but it won't really work if you don't eat healthily etc because you will get really tired and you need to stay motivated.

Good Luck!!

Thank you, I will have a look at the chart 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Metropolis
how tall are you? i think size 6/8 is a really good size which a lot of girls strive to achieve (for average heights) - any pics of before/after?

why do you want to get bigger?

you can't go from size 10 to size 12 and expect to lose fat. you will need to decide your priority - losing fat or gaining muscle

I'm 5"4, I don't really like size 6/8 on me - I look too stick thin (in my opinion) and I am quite a late bloomer I didn't get my curves until I was 19/20 😔

As strange as it might sound size 12 was always my dream size regardless my height. As long as I get into a healthy size 12, I don't mind having a little fat on me. If that makes sense. Also with the flat tummy, I don't want to achieve those toned, like 6 packs some girls have. As long as it looks decent, I will be fine with that. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest