The Student Room Group

Leaving jobs without notice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma:-)
You may not care, but think of your colleagues who you would be leaving in the ****. What if you actually NEEDED the reference? What if the next job you go for asks about it (telling them you left without notice wont exactly look good to them).
However bad it may be- at least give notice in and ride it out for your last few shifts.

Frankly if my colleague was having a miserable time and decided to leave because of it, I'd be happy for them. I wouldn't blame them, I'd blame my boss for making it such a terrible experience.
If i was treated badly by my co-workers and company AND didn't need a reference i'd hand my notice in and then stop coming in. If I liked my co-workers and company i'd hand my notice in and speak to my manager about further steps such as garderning leave etc
Reply 22
If you don't give a notice, you can't get a reference or at least a good one which could've been the only good thing you got out of it.
Original post by The Socktor
I needed money and there was nothing else available, duh.

I don't know that there's any reason to be rude, I was just stating my opinion...
Do you not think that maybe your opinion of
Original post by TheSocktor
if they're willing to allow the workplace to be that terrible then they deserve it if a worker decides to just leave and not turn back
may have been soured by a job that you had to do for income purposes, which obviously is a necesity at times (been there done that) and not because you were interested in that line of work. Maybe that employment would of been perfectly enjoyable to someone else.
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive noticed quite a few people in this forum talking about leaving their jobs without notice. Some of them even think its acceptable to do so.
However bad a job may be (and trust me ive experienced bad jobs myself), leaving without notice isnt the way to go. Surely it wouldnt hurt just to give them the proper notice and stick it out.
It doesnt just leave the company in the ****- it also leaves your colleagues in the ****, with them being short staffed until a replacement is found, especially during any shifts that you where meant to be doing. It doesnt make you look good.
You can also say goodbye to any possible reference when it comes to applying for another job. You may not want the reference, but if you do decide to put the job on your CV, there may be the odd questions asked by future employers.
If you are looking for another job, then surely it would be better to hang on in your current job until you find something better? As well as the money, it also looks better to future employers if you are already employed.
If you really hate your job that much, you either speak with them to solve any issues, stick it out until you find another job or if you really want to leave- give the proper notice.
What is everyone elses opinions?

I think it depends on the business in question. If the business treats its employees and customers well - with dignity and respect - then a termination notice would be common courtesy. If, however, you're working for an exploitative and unscrupulous employer - sustenance wages, long hours, zero-hour contract, disrespectful management etc. - then you owe absolutely nothing to them. Get out of there, don't feel bad for it, and report them if necessary.
Original post by AdamBrennan9516
I don't know that there's any reason to be rude, I was just stating my opinion...

I wasn't trying to be, sorry about that.

Original post by AdamBrennan9516
Do you not think that maybe your opinion of may have been soured by a job that you had to do for income purposes, which obviously is a necesity at times (been there done that) and not because you were interested in that line of work. Maybe that employment would of been perfectly enjoyable to someone else.

Well, actually it wasn't so much what I was doing that made it so bad (in fact I actually enjoyed it on a good day), the co-workers were total pricks to me and the managers never did anything about it (in fact more often than not they joined in with them). Eventually it got to a point were I thought "right, I wouldn't stay if they put a gun to my head and forced me to work", so yeah, I left.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Socktor
I wasn't trying to be, sorry about that.

Well, actually it wasn't so much what I was doing that made it so bad (in fact I actually enjoyed it on a good day), the co-workers were total pricks to me and the managers never did anything about it (in fact more often than not they joined in with them). Eventually it got to a point were I thought "right, I wouldn't stay if they put a gun to my head and forced me to work", so yeah, I left.

That is totally understandable, under those circumstances, I wouldn't stay either and if I felt I couldn't return would do exactly the same thing. I would just write the reasoning down (which in your case is total bullying, sorry to hear that) and state I was leaving immediately and hand it in/ post it to the company. Only reason being that I would want some sort of evidence that I had informed them I was leaving, to avoid any repercussions.
On a 0 hours contract I'd feel no guilt about leaving straight away - the company wouldn't feel guilty about not giving you shifts so you shouldn't feel guilty about refusing them (assuming you're within your contract)

but for a normal job, yes you should always give notice - for all the reasons in the OP
I think you have got to do what is best for you. You're company doesn't care about you, they care about making money so I wouldn't show any loyalty to them.

Having said that I can't see myself ever doing it because the kind of jobs I would apply for recruit far enough in advance to wait 1 month and I wouldn't risk quitting a job without another lined up. But if a better job came along and said I need to start next week, I would do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending