The Student Room Group

How do I get my mum to shut up and stop bragging

She brags about and lies about every single thing. Recently I got accepted to university and this the latest thing she won't stop talking about. I just can't handle her lies.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
She brags about and lies about every single thing. Recently I got accepted to university and this the latest thing she won't stop talking about. I just can't handle her lies.

What lies? :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by Jack22031994
What lies? :confused:

Where do I start. One example would be about her house. So she's got a terraced house and one time she was talking on the phone with someone, in front of me, and she told whoever was on the phone that she's got a big 5 bedroom house. There is many things she lies about
Where do I start. One example would be about her house. So she's got a terraced house and one time she was talking on the phone with someone, in front of me, and she told whoever was on the phone that she's got a big 5 bedroom house. There is many things she lies about

have you asked her why?
Perhaps she feels a bit insecure, or a failure, so feels the need to make things sound bigger, better, or more important than they really are? There could be some underlying reason for it all.
Reply 5
Original post by Jack22031994
have you asked her why?

I tried to speak to her once but she got really mad at me
I tried to speak to her once but she got really mad at me

She might just be insecure about something like @markova21 said ?
Reply 7
Original post by markova21
Perhaps she feels a bit insecure, or a failure, so feels the need to make things sound bigger, better, or more important than they really are? There could be some underlying reason for it all.

I don't even know but man it's painful to watch her. I suppose if she was insecure she'd brag about big things but she'll literally brag about a soap if she got a chance. It's not that I don't like or anything. I do but it's just so cringy
I don't even know but man it's painful to watch her. I suppose if she was insecure she'd brag about big things but she'll literally brag about a soap if she got a chance. It's not that I don't like or anything. I do but it's just so cringy

A soap?

Then if it's really trivial things as well maybe she is a compulsive liar and can't help it. Don't know much about it, but I think it is a proper medical condition that isn't the person's fault.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
A soap?

A metaphor. But trust me, it's bad
For the University point, whilst it sounds weird, perhaps thats her way of expressing pride in you. She's proud of what you've accomplished to the point that she likes to rub it in to others, I suppose if someone else invested that much time raising and nurturing their child, they would too.

Everything else is a bit dodgy though, I'd speak to her about the others.
Original post by markova21
Then if it's really trivial things as well maybe she is a compulsive liar and can't help it. Don't know much about it, but I think it is a proper medical condition that isn't the person's fault.

Original post by AryanGh
For the University point, whilst it sounds weird, perhaps thats her way of expressing pride in you. She's proud of what you've accomplished to the point that she likes to rub it in to others, I suppose if someone else invested that much time raising and nurturing their child, they would too.

Everything else is a bit dodgy though, I'd speak to her about the others.

Thanks guys. I'll try and speak to her again
Sounds like a compulsive liar to me. I don't think you can reason with her without professional help. You're being mad at someone for having a mental disorder. Be a bit more understanding, and talk to a therapist to see if you can have a family session. Can't promise whether it will make things better, might even make them worse. Maybe write her a letter and be kind and say how much she means to you, but these exaggerations make you feel uncomfortable.
Do you live with your dad?

I've definitely met people with this problem. Its not necessarily her fault, it's more like she's afraid of being rejected and wants to one up the other person and would take the necessary measures to do so, in order to maintain friendships etc.
Original post by YaliaV
Do you live with your dad?

It's kinda complicated. I have moved about all my life. I move about a lot because my mum and dad basically left me. So anyone who was willing to take me in, I stayed with them. Right now I am living with my granda before I move to uni.
Original post by Boredom101
I've definitely met people with this problem. Its not necessarily her fault, it's more like she's afraid of being rejected and wants to one up the other person and would take the necessary measures to do so, in order to maintain friendships etc.

Original post by applesforme
Sounds like a compulsive liar to me. I don't think you can reason with her without professional help. You're being mad at someone for having a mental disorder. Be a bit more understanding, and talk to a therapist to see if you can have a family session. Can't promise whether it will make things better, might even make them worse. Maybe write her a letter and be kind and say how much she means to you, but these exaggerations make you feel uncomfortable.

Thanks a lot guys. I will try and speak to her
It's kinda complicated. I have moved about all my life. I move about a lot because my mum and dad basically left me. So anyone who was willing to take me in, I stayed with them. Right now I am living with my granda before I move to uni.

Sorry to hear that. At least you will be moving to uni now - fresh start. Talking to her may help, but it could just start an argument. It seems like she's had problems for a long time and ignoring her may be the only thing you can do.
Original post by YaliaV
Sorry to hear that. At least you will be moving to uni now - fresh start. Talking to her may help, but it could just start an argument. It seems like she's had problems for a long time and ignoring her may be the only thing you can do.

S**t happens. Thank you. Yeah I suppose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending