The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

Good Morning,

This is kind of a long story but I will try to summarise.

I started my course in 2013/2014 academic year, it was a two year foundation degree. All fully funded with no problems and completed with a graduation in 2015.

2015/2016 academic year I applied for my third year (top up) for one year. This was also granted. So obviously three full years! During my third year 2015/2016 I had a tough year, our landlord gave us notice of his intention to make us homeless in the October, which gave us six months to find somewhere to live so I spent most of the year stressing about that. I suffered from depression and really struggled during the remaining months of my third year but didn't really understand the process at the time of appealing for compelling circumstances.

I made the decision to retake my third year at a different university as I wanted a fresh start and a new city. So in 2016/2017 I applied for finance and it was granted being my 'gift year'.

However, everything seemed to get worse and in December 2016, I approached my doctor with depression and anxiety, I was having various attacks etc. I have two doctors letters and also prove that I contacted my lecturer, my employer and the university about my issues. I unfortunately then had my hand accidently slammed into a car door which left me unable to catch up on my already behind studies. University were understanding. I then attended a group therapy session, which I found couldn't take away how I was feeling, so I returned to the doctors in April and was given antidepressants. At the same time I had other medical issues that needed addressing and had to have a blood test and scan done. It is only now, that the problem has now been treated.

Due to all my issues last year, I contacted the university about resitting some of my modules, as they weren't completed. They agreed so I applied for student finance for support. Obviously, I'm not expecting a great deal but I had confirmation this morning that I have been approved for two grants 'parent learning allowance' and 'adult dependent grant' which is great, but nothing else.

Should I submit evidence with regard to compelling personal reasons. I don't need the full tuition loan but would appreciate some guidance as to whether I could get my student maintenance grant or loan again. I'm not in the financial situation to apply for loans from banks so would rely on some funding.

Any advice would be great or am I screwed because of last year?
Original post by Gemmacantan33
Good Morning,

This is kind of a long story but I will try to summarise.

I started my course in 2013/2014 academic year, it was a two year foundation degree. All fully funded with no problems and completed with a graduation in 2015.

2015/2016 academic year I applied for my third year (top up) for one year. This was also granted. So obviously three full years! During my third year 2015/2016 I had a tough year, our landlord gave us notice of his intention to make us homeless in the October, which gave us six months to find somewhere to live so I spent most of the year stressing about that. I suffered from depression and really struggled during the remaining months of my third year but didn't really understand the process at the time of appealing for compelling circumstances.

I made the decision to retake my third year at a different university as I wanted a fresh start and a new city. So in 2016/2017 I applied for finance and it was granted being my 'gift year'.

However, everything seemed to get worse and in December 2016, I approached my doctor with depression and anxiety, I was having various attacks etc. I have two doctors letters and also prove that I contacted my lecturer, my employer and the university about my issues. I unfortunately then had my hand accidently slammed into a car door which left me unable to catch up on my already behind studies. University were understanding. I then attended a group therapy session, which I found couldn't take away how I was feeling, so I returned to the doctors in April and was given antidepressants. At the same time I had other medical issues that needed addressing and had to have a blood test and scan done. It is only now, that the problem has now been treated.

Due to all my issues last year, I contacted the university about resitting some of my modules, as they weren't completed. They agreed so I applied for student finance for support. Obviously, I'm not expecting a great deal but I had confirmation this morning that I have been approved for two grants 'parent learning allowance' and 'adult dependent grant' which is great, but nothing else.

Should I submit evidence with regard to compelling personal reasons. I don't need the full tuition loan but would appreciate some guidance as to whether I could get my student maintenance grant or loan again. I'm not in the financial situation to apply for loans from banks so would rely on some funding.

Any advice would be great or am I screwed because of last year?

Hi Gemmacantan33,

There are many different reasons as to why a student may have had their study affected, illness being one of them.

If you have to repeat a year of study, or had to suspend/withdraw from your course, we would use your previous study to calculate your future entitlement to funding.

On the information that you have provided, although you will not be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan, you can be confident that you will still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants, to repeat your top up course.

A student can be awarded an extra year of fee support if, it has been a result of Compelling Personal Reasons.

You may want us to consider your extenuating circumstances when making this calculation, also known as your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

When you apply for your new course we would advise that you send a letter detailing your CPR along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

That would be a letter on headed paper, written by a health professional or someone professional aware of the situation.

The letter needs to detail the issues you experienced in the academic year concerned and how this affected your studies and the reason why you could not continue your studies.

This would be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor, if accepted you will be awarded an additional year of support.

If we award CPR, you will still be liable for the loans taken during the year(s) of study affected.

CPR does not write off loans, only allows additional years of funding.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending