The Student Room Group

♡❤ Fairly7Local's Weight Loss Journey ! ❤♡

Background Info
I've always been a fairly skinny/normal sized child. I didn't have the best diet but I rarely overate and walked everywhere. Last year in September I weighed about 54 kg for a health checkup (which is quite a decent weight for my height, 1.65m imo) was when I just started year 12 after my GCSEs. Around this time I moved into a new boarding accommodation.

How did I gain weight?
I was a bit stressed out at the beginning of the year because of exams, and stayed up past 2am a lot of days. I didn't get enough sleep, and my accommodation had a kitchen with lots of junk food and biscuits available throughout the day. I stuffed myself with high fat foods all day, almost every day. I never really worried about my weight before but I did notice my clothes getting tighter and I could see the bloat in my face when I took photos, but it didn't bother me that much. I subconsciously convinced myself it wasn't happening or that it was normal. I did try to lose weight before but always gained it back because I overate and didn't hold myself accountable by weighing or making a record of it.

What was my moment of realisation?
Throughout last year I felt less comfortable going clothes shopping and things like that, even though nobody called me fat or anything. But I never took that much notice of my weight until last week I went back to my house and tried to wear a pair of jeans I left there which I wore a lot last year. The button wouldn't fasten and I could barely pull them up to my hips. My accommodation didn't have a scale but there was one at my parents' so I decided to weigh myself and to my utter dread, I was 68 kg! I had gained 14kg in about 7 months which is absolutely ridiculous. I could definitely see how much I gained in the mirror. I went into a moment of absolute panic and realised I needed to change my eating habits or I was definitely going to become obese and cause serious health problems for myself, so I decided after this term's exams were done (they finished last Friday) I would start to lose weight.

What is my weight loss plan?
I'm going to cut out all takeout and restaurant food from my diet. I will eat in smaller portions and avoid overeating. I aim to eat healthier food groups - more fruit, veg, lean meat etc and try to avoid foods high in sugar and fats. I will drink nothing but water (maybe the occasional diet soda) and I plan to exercise at least 3 times a week. I will post updates regularly here to hold myself accountable for my decisions.

What is my aim?
Obviously I want to lose weight in a healthy way, and improve my fitness. I want to reach my original goal weight of 54 kg again and maintain it in about 3 or 4 months but there is no strict time limit, just aiming for a steady loss of about 0.5-1 kg per week. I can anticipate that it will be difficult at times but I want to challenge myself with this goal and improve my self discipline, and also learn more about fitness and weight loss.
When I was thin I never understood how obese people could get like how they were, but now I have a better appreciation that anyone can slip into unhealthy habits easily if they aren't careful however good their genetics. I want to prove to others, especially teenagers like myself who can't usually afford expensive diet plans, dietitians and personal trainers etc. that it is possible to achieve a goal you have set yourself and hopefully inspire them to improve their lifestyles as well. One last takeout and let's get started !

My Log (will update!) Weigh in at least once a week
Mon 12/03/2018 - Weight: 68.4 kg (-0 kg), Waist 74.5 cm (-0cm)
Thu 15/03/2018 - Weight: 66.5 kg (-1.9 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)
Mon 19/03/2018 - Weight: 66.3 kg (-2.1 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)
Mon 26/03/2018 - Weight: 66.0 kg (-2.4 kg), Waist 70.4 cm (-4.1 cm)
Fri 29/06/2018 - Weight - 63.3 kg (-5.1kg) Waist - 67.5 cm (-7cm)
Wed 21/08/2019 - Weight - 58.8 (-9.6 kg), Waist - unknown (back after huge hiatus)

I will post anything I think is noteworthy on here, and I'm open to constructive suggestions from anyone with experience as well !
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to move this over to fitness blogs.
Good luck! :smile:
Good on you and good luck, I'll be following.
Good Luck xx
You go gurl and I 100% know you can do it. Alot of support from here and those around you will defo be beneficial and help you
I will be keeping up with your posts x
Good luck, you sound like you’re going about this the right way
Reply 5
Goodluck - I would like to say don;t change your overall diet rapidly - try to change it gradually 1 small change every few weeks so that your body gets used to the changes or you could find yourself not feeling at your best. Especially if you cut out a lot of refined sugars/carbs too quickly. Also you can pretty much fill up on the vegetables at meal time as most of them mainly consist of water. Try not to get discouraged if you see your weight hasn't moved much or has even increased slightly on the scales - if your body works anything like mine did there will be times when the number on the scales seems to go down down - same - up - same - same - down again.
No idea why it does that but it did.
(edited 6 years ago)
Update
Day 1 - Monday 12/03

Results
Weight: 68.4 kg, Waist 74.5 cm

Reflections
So begins the start of my journey today! It was quite unpleasant seeing that number on the scale but I know it's a starting point, and it will only go down from here. Huge thanks to all those tagged for your support, and it has really given me the motivation for what I can anticipate will be a difficult process.

Next steps
I will apply the steps described in the original post to reduce my calorie intake, increase my water intake and increase my exercise levels and I should see a drop on Thursday, most of which will be water weight.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,

Just remember that number is just a number and it shouldnt put you off from doing or achieving what you want to get and do.
You got this x
And thanks for the post, it takes alot to post something personal such as that and you did it
Update
Day 4 - Thursday 15/03

Results (click for evidence)
Weight: 66.5 kg (-1.9 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)

Reflections
Finally got a less blurry camera for the photos! Substantial weight reduction, 2kg in 3 days, just by cutting out ALL takeaway foods - I didn't spend a single penny on food this week and saved around £20 in the last 3 days, and it's clear from my weight loss how much water retention was caused by all the sodium and junk inside takeout. It was admittedly hard because it's my daily habit to eat out at almost every meal, however I'm glad I stuck to my plan and was strict on myself. I've been eating more fruit and protein. My diet hasn't gone perfectly - I still ate refined carbs and some chocolate biscuits (sorry!) and most of my meals were cooked in my accommodation, but the main factors in my weight loss were eating less calories (portion control) and drinking much more water. I didn't starve myself or count calories but I didn't overeat at all, stopped eating salty and oily takeouts and maintained a tiny bit of hunger each day before bed. I also did about an hour a day of walking as exercise. These first few days were mentally difficult at times as I'm always tempted to buy food but I'm glad I mostly stuck to my plans.

Next steps
I plan to keep up the good work and never buy takeout again as long as it's needed. I know losing 2kg in 3 days is way too much too be sustainable even though it is mostly water retention, so I will work on eating slightly more to reduce the rate of weight loss. I will have my first gym session today and I might try some home workouts with weights if I have time on the weekend as I heard it boosts your metabolism. But I'm very motivated by this initial loss and your support - thanks so much for following! I will update again on Monday with hopefully more progress!
Reply 9
Just realised I was watching this but haven't replied yet!! :colondollar:
CONGRATS ON LOSING 2KG!! :woo:
Drinking water is good!! :yep: I'm not sure if this will help but if you ever feel the urge to snack during the day, snack on fruit like grapes and berries :tongue: it's better than any sort of junk food
have fun at the gym!!
Original post by Fairly7Local
Update
Day 4 - Thursday 15/03

Weight: 66.5 kg (-1.9 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)

Reflections
Finally got a less blurry camera for the photos! Substantial weight reduction, 2kg in 3 days, just by cutting out ALL takeaway foods - I didn't spend a single penny on food this week and saved around £20 in the last 3 days, and it's clear from my weight loss how much water retention was caused by all the sodium and junk inside takeout. It was admittedly hard because it's my daily habit to eat out at almost every meal, however I'm glad I stuck to my plan and was strict on myself. I've been eating more fruit and protein. My diet hasn't gone perfectly - I still ate refined carbs and some chocolate biscuits (sorry!) and most of my meals were cooked in my accommodation, but the main factors in my weight loss were eating less calories (portion control) and drinking much more water. I didn't starve myself or count calories but I didn't overeat at all, stopped eating salty and oily takeouts and maintained a tiny bit of hunger each day before bed. I also did about an hour a day of walking as exercise. These first few days were mentally difficult at times as I'm always tempted to buy food but I'm glad I mostly stuck to my plans.

Next steps
I plan to keep up the good work and never buy takeout again as long as it's needed. I know losing 2kg in 3 days is way too much too be sustainable even though it is mostly water retention, so I will work on eating slightly more to reduce the rate of weight loss. I will have my first gym session today and I might try some home workouts with weights if I have time on the weekend as I heard it boosts your metabolism. But I'm very motivated by this initial loss and your support - thanks so much for following! I will update again on Monday with hopefully more progress!

Well done and yeah most of that was water but at least you’re now heading towards your goal and will notice changes quickly.

Certainly get in the gym as if that burns 250 calories (sometimes more) then that affords you a chocolate bar or whatever before bed.
Use exercise to allow you to have more food

If I was cutting i’d make my food intake PM heavy. So maybe fruit for breakfast.
Protein shake and small lunch and them most of my calories in the evening as most hungry then and most likely to binge on sweets etc. Just what I’d do but each to their own
Reply 11
Changing your mindset is the worst - but sounds like you are off to a very good start. Try to remember whatever changes you make you should be looking to do something that is sustainable forever, Great job on ditching the takeouts. A small amount of junk food (choccy biscuits) here and there won't do you much harm. Last week I ate 5 chocolate easter eggs (3 large 2small) and all the bits that came with them including 6 twirl bars, a pack of buttons and a pack of mini eggs. That was a huge slip up but it made no difference really, as long as I don;'t do that again for a while.
Update
Day 8 - Monday 19/03

Weight: 66.3 kg (-2.1 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)

Reflections
Pretty happy about the 2.1 kilo loss I achieved this week. I know I could've done better as I did let myself slip on a few occasions such as yesterday, which was meant to be a planned sushi takeout day but I ate a bit more than I would've liked after coming back to the accommodation kitchen, but I'm glad I was able to maintain my initial loss at least and didn't gain it back. I also didn't drink as much water as I would've liked yesterday so bit peeved at myself for those things in regard but the outlook isn't too bad imo. Perhaps it will work out better in the long term if I take it more slowly at the beginning, or maybe that's just an excuse I'm making to justify my slip ups haha, idk. I enjoyed a group workout at the gym and have kept up the walking which is working well for me. Thank you all for your tips and support, a lot of times if I'm finding it mentally hard I'll open up this thread and read it which will keep me from ruining my diet so it's been a great emotional support for me, so I hope you'll keep following my journey !

Next Steps
Be stricter with the diet this week and maintain the same exercise levels. Hoping to lose a kilo at least by the end of this week and reach around 65.3 give or take by next Monday.
(edited 6 years ago)
Update
Day 8 - Monday 19/03

Weight: 66.3 kg (-2.1 kg), Waist 71 cm (-3.5 cm)

Reflections
Pretty happy about the 2.1 kilo loss I achieved this week. I know I could've done better as I did let myself slip on a few occasions such as yesterday, which was meant to be a planned sushi takeout day but I ate a bit more than I would've liked after coming back to the accommodation kitchen, but I'm glad I was able to maintain my initial loss at least and didn't gain it back. I also didn't drink as much water as I would've liked yesterday so bit peeved at myself for those things in regard but the outlook isn't too bad imo. Perhaps it will work out better in the long term if I take it more slowly at the beginning, or maybe that's just an excuse I'm making to justify my slip ups haha, idk. I enjoyed a group workout at the gym and have kept up the walking which is working well for me. Thank you all for your tips and support, a lot of times if I'm finding it mentally hard I'll open up this thread and read it which will keep me from ruining my diet so it's been a great emotional support for me, so I hope you'll keep following my journey !

Next Steps
Be stricter with the diet this week and maintain the same exercise levels. Hoping to lose a kilo at least by the end of this week and reach around 55.3 give or take by next Monday.

Well done.

Far better to keep it somewhat sustainable so that when you so hit mid 50kgs you don’t just rebound up.

0.5-1kg a week is more than achievable
heads up, won't be posting tomorrow because of an exam but I will update again on Sunday. Don't worry my diet is on track! Just don't want to stress myself as exams take priority
heads up, won't be posting tomorrow because of an exam but I will update again on Sunday. Don't worry my diet is on track! Just don't want to stress myself as exams take priority

good luck my dear, im sure you'll smash it!!
make sure you don't lose too much in a very short space of time :hugs:
I think you meant 65.3 kg :tongue: It would be very drastic to lose 11kg over a week :eek3:
Imo the best way to diet is to budget your food. Those that stuff their face never had to worry about paying too much for food :wink:
Update
Day 15 - 26/03

Weight: 66.0 kg (-2.4 kg), Waist 70.4 cm (-4.1 cm)

Reflections
Sorry about the late update. Second week in and ugghhhhhh. Obviously the scale isn't everything but can't help be disappointed this week as I expected more than a .3 loss lmao. Although I've been trying I know I haven't been doing the best I can so I'm going to be stricter. However not too worried because I'm on my period and I've been told it can affect weight loss dramatically so crossing my fingers it is that, and I will see the results I deserve this week. Anyway, look on the bright side, at least I didn't gain any back and I lost a bit on my waist so that's cool ! Apart from that it's been a decent week, exams went pretty well and I'm enjoying the exercise and my new routine. Time to get back on track.

Next Steps
Reduce the amount of sugary food I'm eating and replace it with veg/fruit/wholegrains. Apart from that just continue what I've been doing without drastic changes and wait out the menses. Hoping to reach around 65 by the end of this week give or take.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest