The Student Room Group

No Result Driving Test

So yesterday I took my driving test and got no result as an outcome as my examiner said he had only gone through 2/5 of the legal requirements. He mentioned that I didn’t get any serious or dangerous driving faults and said we just didn’t have time to do the other stuff because there was 5 minutes of the test left.

On my test, he told me to go right at Great Cambridge roundabout in Tottenham. There was a lot of traffic building up and cars weren’t letting me go into the right lane. So I stayed in my lane and went the wrong way because it was the safest option to do so. He then told me to do a U turn at a traffic light and made me go back in the direction he wanted me to go. I did this and he told me to turn right at the traffic light and I did this fine. After this we went down the A406 and around to where North Mid hospital was we drove back to the test centre.

He then told me that as we didn’t have enough time to cover manoeuvres and he hadn’t asked me the show me question yet, my result would be a no result. Even my instructor had no idea this could happen and I feel like it’s been a waste of test money. Has anyone had this issue and what can I do?
Reply 1
There is something wrong with the examiner, he should've done everything in the space of 45 minutes or duration of your exam.He shouldn't be telling you that he hasn't even done 2/5 of everything, so you should appeal against this because you've basically put the money down the toilet with this examiner.
This actually sounds like one of the few occasions it's right to complain and demand a free retest from the DVLA.

The examiners poor time management seems the main issue, if they have failed to ask you the S & T questions or to perform the required manoeuvres they have gave you no possibility to pass.

I was under the impression examiners had a bit of discretion regarding routes for traffic, roadworks and exam times. Also that they were generally supposed to do the S & T questions before you take off for the test proper.
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree that this sounds very odd indeed and would probably be worth raising a complaint. I presume that tests aren't booked back to back so they should've had time to complete the test even if you overran. Maybe there is less flexibility now as the independent driving section is much longer.

I also thought that the 'show me' Q's were done at the start, but apparently they can be at any point during the test and it's only the 'tell me' bit before you begin.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions
definitely complain!
I've had 3 driving tests (cos I keep failing) and not once have we ran out of time or been close to running out of time to do everything , regardless of how heavy the traffic is. If you did something that caused you to fail then fair enough, but as this was no fault of your own demand a refund or a free test.
Reply 5
Original post by Dooxed
There is something wrong with the examiner, he should've done everything in the space of 45 minutes or duration of your exam.

Depends on the location. If the driver has gone the wrong way and you are stuck on miles of main road (for example on a city bypass) with stopping restrictions, then you can't pull over. Pulling over a few times is a legal requirement of the test. If this cannot be done, the test won't be legal. Normally, the examiner will find some way of changing the route in time to get the important legal requirements done, but in rare cases, the traffic is so bad and the route so inflexible (as well as the candidate being so difficult to control) that meeting these legal requirements in time is just impossible.

Original post by StriderHort
I was under the impression examiners had a bit of discretion regarding routes for traffic, roadworks and exam times. Also that they were generally supposed to do the S & T questions before you take off for the test proper.

There is only so much we can do. Traffic and roadworks are out of our control, particularly if they appear in places they weren't expected. Only the 'tell me' question is done before setting off now; the 'show me' question is carried out on the move. It's been this way since 2017.

Original post by Admit-One
I presume that tests aren't booked back to back so they should've had time to complete the test even if you overran.

Actually, tests ARE booked back to back. There is very little time between tests (including the stuff you don't see behind the scenes) which will cause a test to run into the next one if there is extremely heavy traffic or unexpected incidents. This is more of an issue at the inner city test centres. It's ten times worse if the candidate is one of those that just won't do as they're told and constantly go the wrong way or miss turns / stopping places.

@ OP: Before raising a complaint, find out first whether DVSA have already organised a free re-test for you. Contact customer services first to ask about this.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending