The Student Room Group

Morning after pill 2 days after period ended

Hi,

I had a contraception accident last week where a condom split and we only realised after. I got the morning after pill less that 12 hours later.
This happened on the Friday night/ early Saturday morning and I had only finished my period fully on Thursday.
Just wondering what the chances are of the pill not working for me as I cannot stop worrying about it! It’s only been 5 days since it happened so definitely too early to test, would I be able to test a week after sex?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I had a contraception accident last week where a condom split and we only realised after. I got the morning after pill less that 12 hours later.
This happened on the Friday night/ early Saturday morning and I had only finished my period fully on Thursday.
Just wondering what the chances are of the pill not working for me as I cannot stop worrying about it! It’s only been 5 days since it happened so definitely too early to test, would I be able to test a week after sex?

Thanks in advance.

If you took morning pill soon as you can afterwards then you should be fine .

Best to take test ( You should wait to take a pregnancy test until the week after your missed period for the most accurate result. If you don't want to wait until you've missed your period, you should wait at least one to two weeks after you had sex. If you are pregnant, your body needs time to develop detectable levels of HCG. ).

I'm a NHS registered midwife okay.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
If you took morning pill soon as you can afterwards then you should be fine .

Best to take test ( You should wait to take a pregnancy test until the week after your missed period for the most accurate result. If you don't want to wait until you've missed your period, you should wait at least one to two weeks after you had sex. If you are pregnant, your body needs time to develop detectable levels of HCG. ).

I'm a NHS registered midwife okay.

Thank you so much! I have read so many posts saying I should be fine by my anxiety is sky high worrying it might not have worked!

A few people said they started bleeding a bit around this time (5 days after taking it) but is it also normal not to have bleeding until you get your actual period?

Sorry for all the questions! So worried and find it all confusing.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much! I have read so many posts saying I should be fine by my anxiety is sky high worrying it might not have worked!

A few people said they started bleeding a bit around this time (5 days after taking it) but is it also normal not to have bleeding until you get your actual period?

Sorry for all the questions! So worried and find it all confusing.

You should be fine as don't stress over it till you do a test to make sure okay x
It should work if as you said took it after 12 hours .

Bleeding outwith your periods can be numerous things as if so then get checked out unless your periods were absolutely late.
You shouldn't get any bleeding in between periods unless you have a health issues.

Look up - nhs.uk/common health questions as you'll get lots here
I posted a part of what it says on NHS website on it for you below but don't stress yourself over this as its only guidance okay.

( Other causes
Some other causes of bleeding between periods include:

taking the emergency contraceptive pill
injury to the vagina for example, from having penetrative sex
recently having an abortion seek medical advice if you're bleeding heavily
sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as chlamydia it's a good idea to get tested if you've recently had unprotected sex with a new partner
recently having a miscarriage
reproductive hormones not working normally this is common in women approaching the menopause or in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
stress
vaginal dryness. )

Quick Reply

Latest