The Student Room Group

Part time student finance funding - previous study query

Hi,

I am hoping to start a BA Hons in History with the Open University in October but need some clarification re funding before I confirm my place as I have found conflicting information when researching loan eligibility.

I do not have a degree at the moment - the highest qualification I hold at present is a 2 year college diploma in Business Admin (equivalent in the UK is National Diploma but not HE level) that I completed overseas on a full-time basis 10 years ago and was not funded through loans/finance.

Will I be able to get full tuition fee funding for my degree as it is a higher qualification than the one I currently hold and is on a part-time basis, or will my previous study make me ineligible for SF funding?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I will be eligible before submitting my application.

Many thanks for your assistance.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lindsay78
Hi,

I am hoping to start a BA Hons in History with the Open University in October but need some clarification re funding before I confirm my place as I have found conflicting information when researching loan eligibility.

I do not have a degree at the moment - the highest qualification I hold at present is a 2 year college diploma in Business Admin (equivalent in the UK is National Diploma but not HE level) that I completed overseas on a full-time basis 10 years ago and was not funded through loans/finance.

Will I be able to get full tuition fee funding for my degree as it is a higher qualification than the one I currently hold and is on a part-time basis, or will my previous study make me ineligible for SF funding?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I will be eligible before submitting my application.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Hi Lindsay,

Based on this you'll be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan for the duration of your part-time course. This is because you don't already hold a degree.

We'd recommend making an application online as soon as you're able. Applications normally take 4-6 weeks to be processed. Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Lindsay,

Based on this you'll be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan for the duration of your part-time course. This is because you don't already hold a degree.

We'd recommend making an application online as soon as you're able. Applications normally take 4-6 weeks to be processed. Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thanks so much for your response.

I submitted my application and sent my birth certificate which was processed and returned. My application is asking for bank details but as I am only applying for tuition fee loan I queried this on live chat and was advised that they are not required and the processing of my application will not be affected or delayed if I don't submit them.

I received an email from SFE two weeks ago stating they need more time to process my application and advised the next update will be mid-July but that I can check the status online - as I have not applied for any other financial assistance or maintenance loan, I am confused as to why they need further time to process my application as I have provided all the information/evidence that was requested - it has already been 6 weeks since I submitted it - and I am wondering what could be the cause of this delay. Do you know of any reasons that could cause them to need additional processing time or is it just a general delay?

Any info/advice you could give will be greatly appreciated - many thanks.
Original post by Lindsay78
Hi Graeme,

Thanks so much for your response.

I submitted my application and sent my birth certificate which was processed and returned. My application is asking for bank details but as I am only applying for tuition fee loan I queried this on live chat and was advised that they are not required and the processing of my application will not be affected or delayed if I don't submit them.

I received an email from SFE two weeks ago stating they need more time to process my application and advised the next update will be mid-July but that I can check the status online - as I have not applied for any other financial assistance or maintenance loan, I am confused as to why they need further time to process my application as I have provided all the information/evidence that was requested - it has already been 6 weeks since I submitted it - and I am wondering what could be the cause of this delay. Do you know of any reasons that could cause them to need additional processing time or is it just a general delay?

Any info/advice you could give will be greatly appreciated - many thanks.

Hi there,

At the moment we are extremely busy so our applications can take longer to process. If you allow time for us to update your application, and keep an eye on your online account.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

At the moment we are extremely busy so our applications can take longer to process. If you allow time for us to update your application, and keep an eye on your online account.

Thanks, Erin

Will do - thanks for your reply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending