The Student Room Group

Quitting smoking THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monsieur Gamma
Whenever I get a craving I just eat, or sleep :P

Yeah I tend to sleep a lot actually. I might try eating more :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So guys, after 4.5 - 5 years of this bad habit I've finally decided, out my own free will, to quite the dirty habit of smoking !!! :biggrin:

I bought one of those e-lites from a shop today and will be using it to help me quit.

Now before anyone tells me "You'll still be addicted to nicotine", I know. BUT by using it I'm not in the line of taking in tar, which is what kills you.

I'll be taking the regular dose of nicotine for the summer, and then gradually down the concentration till I quit completely.

If anyone else is on the road to quitting, is thinking of quitting, or who has already quit, you can talk on this thread!!

I can't help but feel quitting smoking is somewhat overhyped and exaggerated. It's as simple as ending a bad habit and thats all it is, addiction is far too misunderstood for my liking. Theres seems to be a ridiculous consensus that there are little smoking molecules in your brain holding your brain cells at gunpoint with balaclavas on and screaming to put the money in the bag and to make heir host put up and light a cigarette.
I've been addicted to cigarettes, gambling, mephedrone, cannabis and alcohol. Addictive personality, quitting these things is relatively easy past the first week, for any and everything. I find that at least for now, I find the smell of smoke abhorrent and vile, that I actually enjoy smoking abroad in the sun. Its so cheap to do there that it's a crime and you can't beat a cigarette in the sun, so I'll go up to 20 a day when I'm on holiday, come home and not touch the stuff. Addiction is quite literally just a bad habit that is difficult to break.
OP, if individuals can lose limbs and be run through life's trials and tribulations and then go on to climb to the highest peak on earth or swim vast distances in oceans, I'm 100% confident that you have the ability to stop doing something you have a habit of doing
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Yeah I tend to sleep a lot actually. I might try eating more :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can make it through 2-3 weeks you'll finish completely :smile:
If you can make it through 2-3 weeks you'll finish completely :smile:

But I went 18 days tho, but then I gave in dammittt!! And I bought a new set of tobacco so now itll go to waste if I don't use it lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I'm in with this thread, smoked for 7 years. My e-cig broke so I'm prepared with my nicotine gums :colone:. Monday is my 'quit day'.
Original post by 885588
I'm in with this thread, smoked for 7 years. My e-cig broke so I'm prepared with my nicotine gums :colone:. Monday is my 'quit day'.

Wait so you're not smoking again from Monday you mean?
Reply 26
Wait so you're not smoking again from Monday you mean?

Yeah, didn't really find the e-cig working for me since the habit itself is still there, it worked well for some of my friends though.
Original post by 885588
Yeah, didn't really find the e-cig working for me since the habit itself is still there, it worked well for some of my friends though.

It's working wonders for me ... Did you find yourself smoking real cigs when on the e-cig?

I'm on 2.2% nicotine ones at the moment ... going to drop it to 1.6% when this cartridge runs out, and I got it in mint so I don't get bored lol
damn, i need a smoke
Reply 29
It's working wonders for me ... Did you find yourself smoking real cigs when on the e-cig?

I'm on 2.2% nicotine ones at the moment ... going to drop it to 1.6% when this cartridge runs out, and I got it in mint so I don't get bored lol

Yeah I was smoking both, I'd go outside for a real cigarette, then just use the e-cig when inside. Taken up exercising now too so a bit of extra motivation there. The main issue has been money for me though; not as expensive since I roll my own (except for night outs). I have the 4mg gums, they aren't too expensive and they taste nice.
Reply 30
I actually find e-cigs quite tacky. I don't know, probably because even the non smokers are using them, like everywhere. It's become something of a fashion item sort of.
The best way to quit is cold turkey. E-cigarettes, nicotine patches/gum, replacement are great, but there's no need for them and don't usually work. A lot of tobacco companies sell e-cigs, gum etc.. Which is funny because they're effectively selling you the poison and then the antidote. They are marketed in a way that makes you think that you NEED them to quit smoking. You don't. At all.

I stopped smoking about 2 months ago. My mouth tasted like an ash tray and my teeth were starting to look bad. So I finished the pack then stopped smoking. It's 100% in your head. If you're mentally strong then you can do it no problem. If you're not mentally strong, then quit cold turkey and after a month of forcing yourself not to smoke, you will be.
Original post by Michael!
The best way to quit is cold turkey. E-cigarettes, nicotine patches/gum, replacement are great, but there's no need for them and don't usually work. A lot of tobacco companies sell e-cigs, gum etc.. Which is funny because they're effectively selling you the poison and then the antidote. They are marketed in a way that makes you think that you NEED them to quit smoking. You don't. At all.

I stopped smoking about 2 months ago. My mouth tasted like an ash tray and my teeth were starting to look bad. So I finished the pack then stopped smoking. It's 100% in your head. If you're mentally strong then you can do it no problem. If you're not mentally strong, then quit cold turkey and after a month of forcing yourself not to smoke, you will be.

e cigs are working just fine for me actually.
Original post by 885588
Yeah I was smoking both, I'd go outside for a real cigarette, then just use the e-cig when inside. Taken up exercising now too so a bit of extra motivation there. The main issue has been money for me though; not as expensive since I roll my own (except for night outs). I have the 4mg gums, they aren't too expensive and they taste nice.

That's the exact reason why we, in the UK, are banned to smoke anything, including e cigs indoors.

Truth ^

Posting my compulsory Allen Carr recommendation in the quitting smoking threads:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0718194551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405869939&sr=8-1&keywords=allen+carr

Seriously, if you are quitting smoking, get this book. Here is a video that gives you a brief insight into the method:

Been trying to quit for time...Im seriously going to do it by the end of this year though. Weed and fags...****in shouldnt have ever started.
(edited 9 years ago)
e cigs are working just fine for me actually.

You quit smoking 3 days ago. Tell me they worked when you've gone two months without smoking.

I'm not saying that they won't work because they definitely can. It's just not the best way to quit.
Reply 37
One of the biggest thing to quite smoking is one of the essential steps should be taken because it is very hazardous to our health.
Reply 38
And you haven't had one since?

I've had a few, no more than ten, when I've been with my friends as the all smoke, but I've not bought anymore cigarettes, nor smoked one at home/on my own
You quit smoking 3 days ago. Tell me they worked when you've gone two months without smoking.

I'm not saying that they won't work because they definitely can. It's just not the best way to quit.

Haven't had one puff of a smoke from the day I posted this thread - still using e lites .... Hmmm, so they do work.

Quick Reply

Latest