The Student Room Group

Student finance eligibility! Please help thanks

Hi there, I'm asking on behalf of a friend, she is 34 yrs old and when she was 18 she did 1 year of a degree and then 1 year of another degree, unfortunately she dropped out of both due to some family personal reasons. She now wants to start a foundation degree to become a teacher but student finance are saying they won't fund it. She has only just found this out so it's left no time to save the cost of the course! Which starts next week! Does anyone know of any other organisations who fund or who can help towards course costs? I've even set her up a go fund me page just to give it a try for some generosity as we've looked high and low online for help but found nothing yet. Thanks!
Original post by HannahOJ244
Hi there, I'm asking on behalf of a friend, she is 34 yrs old and when she was 18 she did 1 year of a degree and then 1 year of another degree, unfortunately she dropped out of both due to some family personal reasons. She now wants to start a foundation degree to become a teacher but student finance are saying they won't fund it. She has only just found this out so it's left no time to save the cost of the course! Which starts next week! Does anyone know of any other organisations who fund or who can help towards course costs? I've even set her up a go fund me page just to give it a try for some generosity as we've looked high and low online for help but found nothing yet. Thanks!

Depending on the reasons why your friend left university, she may be eligible for an additional year of finance if she applies for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' (see here: https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf) - although it may be too late to apply for this year.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Depending on the reasons why your friend left university, she may be eligible for an additional year of finance if she applies for 'Compelling Personal Reasons' (see here: https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/documents/how-to-apply-for-compelling-personal-reasons-and-discretionary-payments.pdf) - although it may be too late to apply for this year.

Ah thank you for the reply! I'll tell her to look into it, just think it's a shame there's no help 16 years down the line but unfortunately if that's the way student finance works.
Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending