The Student Room Group

University or Apprenticeship?

I’m currently in year 12 at sixth form.I’m not sure whether I want to go to university or to do an apprenticeship instead, or to even take a gap year. As well as what I would like to be when I’m older or what jobs I’m interested in. I’m stuck on whether I will enjoy university due to the exams as I get very stressed and I don’t think I’m enjoying sixth form due to this but i’ve heard that they are a lot easier than a levels? Does anybody have any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
If you're unsure I would advise taking a gap year rather than spending over £9,000 on something you didn't want to do in the first place. a gap year or even an apprenticeship would be a good option as it allows you to take time to explore different options and ultimately be sure about what you want to do in the end. At least this way you won't have regretted all the loan and debt you would have taken out for university. Also, when you find what you want to do if there is an apprenticeship available I would 100% go with that instead of the university course. if there is a way to achieve what you want without all the debt and stress I would say definitely take it, especially if you're already uneasy about exams and assessments.

Original post by Chll23
I’m currently in year 12 at sixth form studying law,business,economics and core maths. I’m not sure whether I want to go to university or to do an apprenticeship instead, or to even take a gap year. As well as what I would like to be when I’m older or what jobs I’m interested in. I’m stuck on whether I will enjoy university due to the exams as I get very stressed and I don’t think I’m enjoying sixth form due to this but i’ve heard that they are a lot easier than a levels? Does anybody have any advice?
That’s true, spending over £9,000 on something I didn’t want to do in the first place would make me have so much regret. I think I might look into apprenticeships and consider the gap year so I can explore new things and just see what I really enjoy and want to do. Thank you so much for your help!

Original post by mumtaz15
If you're unsure I would advise taking a gap year rather than spending over £9,000 on something you didn't want to do in the first place. a gap year or even an apprenticeship would be a good option as it allows you to take time to explore different options and ultimately be sure about what you want to do in the end. At least this way you won't have regretted all the loan and debt you would have taken out for university. Also, when you find what you want to do if there is an apprenticeship available I would 100% go with that instead of the university course. if there is a way to achieve what you want without all the debt and stress I would say definitely take it, especially if you're already uneasy about exams and assessments.
Reply 3
You're very welcome :smile:
Original post by Chll23
That’s true, spending over £9,000 on something I didn’t want to do in the first place would make me have so much regret. I think I might look into apprenticeships and consider the gap year so I can explore new things and just see what I really enjoy and want to do. Thank you so much for your help!
It's good your having a think about this now, rather than when it becomes too late. In terms of you disliking the exam process, university exams aren't 'easier' however there are more aids and means of support given to students that suffer from exam stress to make it easier for them, such as; extra time, working in a separate empty room and also in general the exams are much longer that I even know people who have slept during their exam then woken up and continued to sit the exam (I don't advise this, this is just a technique that helps for them to alleviate stress). You should look at whether you would enjoy entering into the world of work, as most apprenticeships force you to now come out of that studying mindset and basically place you into the real life work setting. You can try get some work experience over half terms or ask your school if they have any other means of how you can get a taste of doing an apprenticeship.

In terms of doing a gap year, if you want to do a gap year because your unsure what you would like to do at uni, you should make sure that in that gap year you won't lose the drive to work. For some doing a gap year gets them out of that working ethic so it becomes hard for them when they go back into education when they enter uni. But, if you know you won't get lazy or procrastinate and fill your gap year with things to keep you active, thinking or exploring it could be very beneficial for you to learn more about yourself and what you really want to do.

Finally, don't focus too much on what career you want to do in the future as it can always change. Focus on what you enjoy and are good at and may want to pursue whether as a degree or an aspect in an apprenticeship e.g you may enjoy economics and want to do an apprenticeship in the business or financial sector etc.

But most importantly don't stress! Take your time to really think about it rather than making a big decision you may end up regretting in the future. Explore different avenues and do more research!
Thank you so much for your help! You mentioned some things that I didn’t even consider or know about :smile: I’ve got exams and mocks coming up this month and next month and the grades from my mocks will be my predicted grades or one grade above which can be sent to certain universities depending on their application dates which I’m so unsure about and I think that is what’s stressing me out :frown: thank you for your help! It means a lot :smile:
Original post by essexgirlgilbert
It's good your having a think about this now, rather than when it becomes too late. In terms of you disliking the exam process, university exams aren't 'easier' however there are more aids and means of support given to students that suffer from exam stress to make it easier for them, such as; extra time, working in a separate empty room and also in general the exams are much longer that I even know people who have slept during their exam then woken up and continued to sit the exam (I don't advise this, this is just a technique that helps for them to alleviate stress). You should look at whether you would enjoy entering into the world of work, as most apprenticeships force you to now come out of that studying mindset and basically place you into the real life work setting. You can try get some work experience over half terms or ask your school if they have any other means of how you can get a taste of doing an apprenticeship.

In terms of doing a gap year, if you want to do a gap year because your unsure what you would like to do at uni, you should make sure that in that gap year you won't lose the drive to work. For some doing a gap year gets them out of that working ethic so it becomes hard for them when they go back into education when they enter uni. But, if you know you won't get lazy or procrastinate and fill your gap year with things to keep you active, thinking or exploring it could be very beneficial for you to learn more about yourself and what you really want to do.

Finally, don't focus too much on what career you want to do in the future as it can always change. Focus on what you enjoy and are good at and may want to pursue whether as a degree or an aspect in an apprenticeship e.g you may enjoy economics and want to do an apprenticeship in the business or financial sector etc.

But most importantly don't stress! Take your time to really think about it rather than making a big decision you may end up regretting in the future. Explore different avenues and do more research!
Hey,

I might be able to help a little as someone whom has sort of done both? When I left Secondary School I went to college to do A-Levels, and soon realised it wasn't for me and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my A-Levels. I left college and went into an apprenticeship which loved it to begin with but soon realised the empolyer wasn't great and I was being overworked with little benefit. I moved to another Apprenticeship and it is ideal; well-payed, enjoyable, and great career prospects. However, I kept having ideas of going back to University to Study Nursing; I am now nearly in completion of my Access Course and starting University in September at 19 years old.

So what I'm saying is, apprenticeships can be both good and bad so try and find a reoutable empolyer with good career prospects. And also, it doesn't matter if you change your mind, you can always get back into education. From working for two years, I gained valuable life experience and now am a more dedicated learner.
Hi, thank you so much for your help! I will remember what you’ve said and will keep that in mind when deciding on what I will be doing :smile:
Original post by MTaylor25
Hey,

I might be able to help a little as someone whom has sort of done both? When I left Secondary School I went to college to do A-Levels, and soon realised it wasn't for me and wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my A-Levels. I left college and went into an apprenticeship which loved it to begin with but soon realised the empolyer wasn't great and I was being overworked with little benefit. I moved to another Apprenticeship and it is ideal; well-payed, enjoyable, and great career prospects. However, I kept having ideas of going back to University to Study Nursing; I am now nearly in completion of my Access Course and starting University in September at 19 years old.

So what I'm saying is, apprenticeships can be both good and bad so try and find a reoutable empolyer with good career prospects. And also, it doesn't matter if you change your mind, you can always get back into education. From working for two years, I gained valuable life experience and now am a more dedicated learner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending