The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

Hi everyone!

I've just applied for Student Finance for the year 2021/22 with a list of things as evidence to support an application I've made for CPR. Previously I studied a total of two years at university but had to leave due to a few issues which I'll speak about momentarily.

During the year 2018/19 which was my first year at University, I had a couple of things happen which caused me to fail the year. Running up to my end of year exams my parents sadly got divorced and my grandfather passed away all in the space of around 3 weeks of each other, which coincidentally happened around 3 weeks before my end of year exams; which was incredibly disruptive.

Due to these events I sadly failed my exams and was offered a smaller retake year in which I would only complete modules I failed in order to admit me into year 2 (which I decided to do and believe it to have been the wrong decision). During this year I came to the realisation that I would be hopelessly unprepared for second year as I wouldn't have covered almost 70% of the course material in over a year. Due to what would have been a lack of preparation for second year I decided to leave university at the end of the retake year and reapply for university in 2021, which I have now done, and I'm currently waiting for a decision from SFE.

Within my CPR I attached a doctors note outlining my inability to engage with my studies in first year, a letter from the university doing the same thing- essentially asking for SFE to take my situation into consideration when judging my application, a death certificate and a divorce certificate also for proof of claims made on my application.

As you can image I'm quite nervous about my application as I've been studying independently completing extra work to meet the requirements of certain Russell Group universities over this past year out of uni. So essentially what I'm asking for is some reassurance that this situation does indeed reflect that of someone who meets the requirements for an application for CPR.

Many thanks!
Original post by Tom_SFC
Hi everyone!

I've just applied for Student Finance for the year 2021/22 with a list of things as evidence to support an application I've made for CPR. Previously I studied a total of two years at university but had to leave due to a few issues which I'll speak about momentarily.

During the year 2018/19 which was my first year at University, I had a couple of things happen which caused me to fail the year. Running up to my end of year exams my parents sadly got divorced and my grandfather passed away all in the space of around 3 weeks of each other, which coincidentally happened around 3 weeks before my end of year exams; which was incredibly disruptive.

Due to these events I sadly failed my exams and was offered a smaller retake year in which I would only complete modules I failed in order to admit me into year 2 (which I decided to do and believe it to have been the wrong decision). During this year I came to the realisation that I would be hopelessly unprepared for second year as I wouldn't have covered almost 70% of the course material in over a year. Due to what would have been a lack of preparation for second year I decided to leave university at the end of the retake year and reapply for university in 2021, which I have now done, and I'm currently waiting for a decision from SFE.

Within my CPR I attached a doctors note outlining my inability to engage with my studies in first year, a letter from the university doing the same thing- essentially asking for SFE to take my situation into consideration when judging my application, a death certificate and a divorce certificate also for proof of claims made on my application.

As you can image I'm quite nervous about my application as I've been studying independently completing extra work to meet the requirements of certain Russell Group universities over this past year out of uni. So essentially what I'm asking for is some reassurance that this situation does indeed reflect that of someone who meets the requirements for an application for CPR.

Many thanks!

Hi Tom, I understand that the re assurance would help you and ease your worries, however I wouldn't be able to say if your evidence would be accepted because our assessors make the final decision so I do not want to provide false hope or re assurances regarding this evidence.

You can find out more about CPR here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

What our assessors look for :

- dates
- professional evidence that specifically states how your studies were affected.

If your evidence is missing any of this then it could be rejected.
Evidence can be uploaded in your online account and currently takes around 17 working days to review.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Tom, I understand that the re assurance would help you and ease your worries, however I wouldn't be able to say if your evidence would be accepted because our assessors make the final decision so I do not want to provide false hope or re assurances regarding this evidence.

You can find out more about CPR here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm

What our assessors look for :

- dates
- professional evidence that specifically states how your studies were affected.

If your evidence is missing any of this then it could be rejected.
Evidence can be uploaded in your online account and currently takes around 17 working days to review.

Thanks, Isaac

Many thanks for your reply, Isaac!

I'm asking more if this situation sounds like one in which I would be able to apply for a CPR, not if I would be accepted- I do understand your position, however, I'm trying to understand if the position I'm currently in sounds like one which would encourage a CPR application.

Many thanks
Original post by Tom_SFC
Many thanks for your reply, Isaac!

I'm asking more if this situation sounds like one in which I would be able to apply for a CPR, not if I would be accepted- I do understand your position, however, I'm trying to understand if the position I'm currently in sounds like one which would encourage a CPR application.

Many thanks

I do think you have valid reasons for CPR so as long as your evidence is good enough then it should hopefully be acceptable, I wouldn't gather any further evidence for now. You should upload what you have.

However if the assessors require more evidence then I think good evidence would be a letter from your tutor which specifically states how your studies were affected with your family situation.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending