The Student Room Group

Funding from SAAS

Hi,

I moved to Scotland before the start of my final year of my bachelor's course in England so I was getting funding from SFE. Now I've finished my course and want to do a master's, but I can't apply with SFE again as I now live in Scotland. So im applying with SAAS as I meet the criteria for eligibility to get funding. But I've been told by SAAS that I can't get funding because I'm doing a master's straight after my initial degree so I have to apply with SFE who gave me funding originally. Which doesn't make sense because I meet the criteria and even the unis I applied to have said that I do meet the criteria for funding? Anyone know what to do now because I want to do masters but Idk where I get funding from?
Original post by Denchbowsa
Hi,

I moved to Scotland before the start of my final year of my bachelor's course in England so I was getting funding from SFE. Now I've finished my course and want to do a master's, but I can't apply with SFE again as I now live in Scotland. So im applying with SAAS as I meet the criteria for eligibility to get funding. But I've been told by SAAS that I can't get funding because I'm doing a master's straight after my initial degree so I have to apply with SFE who gave me funding originally. Which doesn't make sense because I meet the criteria and even the unis I applied to have said that I do meet the criteria for funding? Anyone know what to do now because I want to do masters but Idk where I get funding from?

Hi there, you should still be eligible for SFE funding.

Our guidance states:

Student Relocates After UG Funding (no gap in studies)
If the student moves/relocates to another domicile after studying an undergraduate course to study attend a Postgraduate Masters (PGM) the team will automatically make the student ineligible. This is due to the student being considered still resident in their original domicile, as per example:

EXAMPLE: ‘Terry starts an undergraduate degree in England in September 2016. He receives funding from Student Finance Wales as he is ordinarily resident in Wales at the start of the first AY of the course. He completes the undergraduate degree in May 2020. In September 2020 he starts a master’s degree course in England. He is not eligible for PG Master’s from SFE as he is still considered to be ordinarily resident in Wales, having only moved to England for the purpose of undertaking his undergraduate and then progressed immediately to his master’s course. (Note that he is ineligible for PG Master’s from SFE whether he returned to Wales or remained in England during the intervening vacation period).’

You can't apply for SFE online with a Scottish address, so you should either change your address online temporarily to an English one, or apply by sending in the paper application form located here https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, you should still be eligible for SFE funding.

Our guidance states:

Student Relocates After UG Funding (no gap in studies)
If the student moves/relocates to another domicile after studying an undergraduate course to study attend a Postgraduate Masters (PGM) the team will automatically make the student ineligible. This is due to the student being considered still resident in their original domicile, as per example:

EXAMPLE: ‘Terry starts an undergraduate degree in England in September 2016. He receives funding from Student Finance Wales as he is ordinarily resident in Wales at the start of the first AY of the course. He completes the undergraduate degree in May 2020. In September 2020 he starts a master’s degree course in England. He is not eligible for PG Master’s from SFE as he is still considered to be ordinarily resident in Wales, having only moved to England for the purpose of undertaking his undergraduate and then progressed immediately to his master’s course. (Note that he is ineligible for PG Master’s from SFE whether he returned to Wales or remained in England during the intervening vacation period).’

You can't apply for SFE online with a Scottish address, so you should either change your address online temporarily to an English one, or apply by sending in the paper application form located here https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/apply

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for that response, feel a little bit relieved now. So from what I understand from that is that SF award bodies (SFE, SAAS, etc) don't generally provide funding to students who've relocated and have previously received funding from a separate award body?
Original post by Denchbowsa
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for that response, feel a little bit relieved now. So from what I understand from that is that SF award bodies (SFE, SAAS, etc) don't generally provide funding to students who've relocated and have previously received funding from a separate award body?

It's not that black and white but yes we will look to say if the student has moved to study etc.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending