The Student Room Group

Eligibility (have some previous study, but no degree)

Hi,
I am interested in studying for a BA (Hons) in Social Work at Sheffield Hallam. I am unsure whether I would receive any funding from SFE.

I was hoping that someone could share any similar experience, who may have been in a similar situation:

I went to university (studying Philosophy) for two years in approx. 8 years ago. Due to mental health complications I was unable to continue my course. I completed my first year but left part way through my second. I have not got any qualification from the university.

As it stands at the moment, I would needt to go to College to do an Access course, and then onto University.

Does anyone know the likelyhood of me getting funding for this? (Ideally to cover the study, not so fussed about maintanance or owt)

Thanks in advance,
Original post by OscarLeema
Hi,
I am interested in studying for a BA (Hons) in Social Work at Sheffield Hallam. I am unsure whether I would receive any funding from SFE.

I was hoping that someone could share any similar experience, who may have been in a similar situation:

I went to university (studying Philosophy) for two years in approx. 8 years ago. Due to mental health complications I was unable to continue my course. I completed my first year but left part way through my second. I have not got any qualification from the university.

As it stands at the moment, I would needt to go to College to do an Access course, and then onto University.

Does anyone know the likelyhood of me getting funding for this? (Ideally to cover the study, not so fussed about maintanance or owt)

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

As long as you have never studied an Access to Higher Education course before that’s been funded by an Advanced Learner Loan (ALL) then potentially you can apply for an ALL to cover the tuition fees https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Are you thinking of studying your degree part time or full time?

If it's full time, in terms of your previous study, we calculate entitlement as follows:

New Course Length (Years) + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) Previous Study Years = Remaining Entitlement.

Therefore if you decided to join a 3 year degree after completing your access course it would be:

3 + 1 2 = 2 years of full funding in years 2 and 3 of your new course.

In this scenario, you won’t be able to get Tuition Fees in the first year unless you have evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). You can still apply for a Maintenance Loan, Grants for Dependants (if applicable) and Disabled Students Allowence (if applicable) for all years of the course.

In order to apply for CPR, we advise sending a covering letter, ideally from a professional person, with the following details after you’ve completed an application for finance:

Signed and dated
Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted. The address to write to is:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Warm Regards, Dean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending