The Student Room Group

Getting Married/Got a Job

Hi,

My Fiancée is a student at Sheffield University and as we are getting married in September (3rd), I will be the adult that she depends upon.

She's sent me a PFF2 to fill in, but should I fill it in as if I am already her husband or as I am now, her Fiancé, as I imagine this has some sort of effect on what we receive?

Also, the form states:
"Please note that a current year income assessment cannot be carried out unless you provide your financial details for the 2014-15 tax year"
However, I didn't have a paid job in 14/15 but I do now as of July '15 but it doesn't ask a single question about my current income, only about the year 14-15.

Do I just answer 'No' to everything in all of those sections or will I need to do something else?

Basically, I couldn't be making this any more difficult for myself so help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.
Original post by stevebattey
Hi,

My Fiancée is a student at Sheffield University and as we are getting married in September (3rd), I will be the adult that she depends upon.

She's sent me a PFF2 to fill in, but should I fill it in as if I am already her husband or as I am now, her Fiancé, as I imagine this has some sort of effect on what we receive?

Also, the form states:
"Please note that a current year income assessment cannot be carried out unless you provide your financial details for the 2014-15 tax year"
However, I didn't have a paid job in 14/15 but I do now as of July '15 but it doesn't ask a single question about my current income, only about the year 14-15.

Do I just answer 'No' to everything in all of those sections or will I need to do something else?

Basically, I couldn't be making this any more difficult for myself so help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

This is a bit tricky because you've picked the worst date possible to get married for SFE purposes. A week earlier and this would be a lot simpler!

As far as SFE is concerned they consider the start of the academic year for autumn courses to be 1st September - which means that at the START of the academic year you wont be married and therefore your fiance wont be independent and should initially have her finance assessed based on her parental income (unless she can prove independence in another way - the most common are either having a child or having evidence that she has supported herself financially for 3 years or if she is over 25 - in any of these cases then fill in the form as her partner).

She'll then need to contact SFE by phone once you're married to notify them of a change in circumstance (https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/change-an-application ) and at that point they'll need to assess your income (and it will be for 2014/15 - even if your income in that year was nothing - you can only notify them of a DROP in income between then and now not for an increase).

It's a massive pain - but it should only be a pain for the first year of application.

I don't suppose there's any way you could re-schedule the wedding (or have a civil wedding earlier and just a ceremony on the 3rd Sept?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending