The Student Room Group

SFE funding

Does SFE cover finances for diplomas as well or only degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Petb

To receive funding from Student Finance England, your course of study must be a Level 4 or above course.

Thanks
Gerard
Reply 2
Hi Gerard,

Can it be part-time as well?
Original post by petb
Hi Gerard,

Can it be part-time as well?

Hi,

We do also fund part time courses, if you wish to study via this mode of study.

Thanks, Duncan.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

We do also fund part time courses, if you wish to study via this mode of study.

Thanks, Duncan.

Is there any particular requirement for the part-time course to be eligible for funding (eg. minimum length of study)? Could a 6-9 month level 7 diploma course be funded by SFE?
Original post by petb
Is there any particular requirement for the part-time course to be eligible for funding (eg. minimum length of study)? Could a 6-9 month level 7 diploma course be funded by SFE?

Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course, and the name of the univeristy or college?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Graeme
Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course, and the name of the univeristy or college?

Warm regards,
Graeme

I am considering few:
1. BTEC Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership, at London College of Business
2. Level 7 Diploma in Healthcare Management, at HealthCareCourses
3.PGCE, at the University of Greenwich
Original post by petb
I am considering few:
1. BTEC Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership, at London College of Business
2. Level 7 Diploma in Healthcare Management, at HealthCareCourses
3.PGCE, at the University of Greenwich

Hi,

the only one of them courses we would potentially fund is the PGCE at the University of Greenwich.

Thanks,
Duncan.
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi,

the only one of them courses we would potentially fund is the PGCE at the University of Greenwich.

Thanks,
Duncan.

Thank you. Is the general information about the type of courses that are applicable to SFE funding anywhere online, so I could look it up and for future reference?
Original post by petb
Thank you. Is the general information about the type of courses that are applicable to SFE funding anywhere online, so I could look it up and for future reference?

Hi petb,

We only advise the qualification the course needs to be i.e level 4 or above for Undergraduate funding or Postgraduate Master's level 7 to get Postgraduate funding. If you choose a course and wish to check funding, you can ask the university who can advise you if the course attracts our funding or contact us on here, facebook or twitter.
Thanks,
Claire
Reply 10
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi petb,

We only advise the qualification the course needs to be i.e level 4 or above for Undergraduate funding or Postgraduate Master's level 7 to get Postgraduate funding. If you choose a course and wish to check funding, you can ask the university who can advise you if the course attracts our funding or contact us on here, facebook or twitter.
Thanks,
Claire

Ok, thank you.
Also, I am interested in studying MSc Health Psychology at the University of Westminster, but because I don't have a degree in Psychology, which is needed for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the BPS, I would need to do the MSc Psychology conversion course as well. Could both masters degrees be funded by SFE in this case?
Original post by petb
Ok, thank you.
Also, I am interested in studying MSc Health Psychology at the University of Westminster, but because I don't have a degree in Psychology, which is needed for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) of the BPS, I would need to do the MSc Psychology conversion course as well. Could both masters degrees be funded by SFE in this case?

Hi petb,

we wouldn't be able to fund you for two master's. The course needs to be a Postgraduate Level 7 course to be eligible to get finance from us and we would only fund you if you don't already hold this level of qualification.
Thanks,
Claire
Reply 12
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi petb,

we wouldn't be able to fund you for two master's. The course needs to be a Postgraduate Level 7 course to be eligible to get finance from us and we would only fund you if you don't already hold this level of qualification.
Thanks,
Claire

Does it mean that for example combination of PG Certificate or Diploma Level 7 (instead of Masters Degree) and then Masters Degree could be both funded by SFE?
Original post by petb
Does it mean that for example combination of PG Certificate or Diploma Level 7 (instead of Masters Degree) and then Masters Degree could be both funded by SFE?

Hi petb,

To be eligible to receive the Postgraduate Loan you must be studying a standalone level 7 masters course. You would not be eligible to receive funding for a PG Certificate and we cannot fund a combination of PG courses.

Thanks,
Erin K
Reply 14
Original post by SFE Erin
Hi petb,

To be eligible to receive the Postgraduate Loan you must be studying a standalone level 7 masters course. You would not be eligible to receive funding for a PG Certificate and we cannot fund a combination of PG courses.

Thanks,
Erin K

Is PGCE exception for SFE funding then? As I have been previously advised that PGCE would be funded by SFE. And if so, would that affect further funding for a Masters Degree as well?
Original post by petb
Is PGCE exception for SFE funding then? As I have been previously advised that PGCE would be funded by SFE. And if so, would that affect further funding for a Masters Degree as well?

Hi petb,

PGCE courses are classed as exception courses and so you would be eligible to receive full funding provided you do not already hold Qualified Teaching Status. If applying online please select that you will be undertaking an undegraduate course to ensure you receive the correct funding. If applying by paper please complete the PN1 form. This would not affect any masters course you may undertake at a later stage.

Thanks,
Erin K
Reply 16
Hi petb,

PGCE courses are classed as exception courses and so you would be eligible to receive full funding provided you do not already hold Qualified Teaching Status. If applying online please select that you will be undertaking an undegraduate course to ensure you receive the correct funding. If applying by paper please complete the PN1 form. This would not affect any masters course you may undertake at a later stage.

Thanks,
Erin K

Thank you. Apart from the PGCE, because I would still need to complete a study in Psychology for the Graduate Basis of Chartered Membership of the British Psychological Society, but if I did the MSc conversion course in Psychology and received SFE funding for that then I would not be eligible to receive further funding for the MSc in Health Psychology, if I understood it correctly, would it be a good idea then to do an undergraduate degree in Psychology for the GBC of the BPS, and if so, would this be eligible for SFE funding? If it would be, could one receive funding for both BSc in Psychology and MSc in Health Psychology consequently if studying both part-time or would each have to be studied one at a time?
Original post by petb
Thank you. Apart from the PGCE, because I would still need to complete a study in Psychology for the Graduate Basis of Chartered Membership of the British Psychological Society, but if I did the MSc conversion course in Psychology and received SFE funding for that then I would not be eligible to receive further funding for the MSc in Health Psychology, if I understood it correctly, would it be a good idea then to do an undergraduate degree in Psychology for the GBC of the BPS, and if so, would this be eligible for SFE funding? If it would be, could one receive funding for both BSc in Psychology and MSc in Health Psychology consequently if studying both part-time or would each have to be studied one at a time?

Hi petb,

You would not be able to receive funding for two courses at the one time. Do you currently hold an undergraduate degree? If so you would be ineligible to receive funding for an equivalent level qualification. You can apply for the Postgraduate Loan for the Msc in Health Psychology if you do not already hold a level 7 Masters degree.

Thanks,
Erin K
Reply 18
Hi petb,

You would not be able to receive funding for two courses at the one time. Do you currently hold an undergraduate degree? If so you would be ineligible to receive funding for an equivalent level qualification. You can apply for the Postgraduate Loan for the Msc in Health Psychology if you do not already hold a level 7 Masters degree.

Thanks,
Erin K

Hi petb,

Thanks,
Erin K

Would Psychology not be part of the exception as a science subject being eligible for SFE funding for a second degree (if it is in science, nursing, computing etc.) from August 2017?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Is Psychology not part of the exception as a science subject being eligible for SFE funding for a second degree (if it is in science, nursing, computing etc.) from August 2017 then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending