The Student Room Group

Did my mum treat me badly growing up?

Growing up, my mum would shout and slap me a lot. One time when I was about nine, I called a teacher by a different name as a joke (it was not offensive in any way) and she told me off mildly. I told my mum what I did, and she started shouting at me, telling me that the teacher would be crying at home for me bullying her. She was hitting me and told me she was going to call the police for my behaviour.
On other occasions, she has additionally taken all my possessions out of my room and told me I don't own anything anymore, and packed my clothes into a suitcase and driven me down the road, telling me she would take me to the juvenile correctional rehabilitation facility a few minutes away.
I grew up thinking I was very badly behaved, yet my dad tells me that I caused very few problems.
My mum would later apologise for her actions and tell me that other mums do the same thing to their kids, so I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your mother sounds abusive. Slapping you for no reason, and driving you off to the curb and pretending she was sending you off somewhere? That is not normal behavior at all. Then to make up excuses saying that 'all parents treat their kids this way'? Toxic.
Im sorry to hear that you were treated like this :console:
im gonna be honest, my mum screams at me a lot (still), i find it normal because in my culture the parents are super strict and hit their kids so it seems normal to me but probably not for other people.
Sounds like your mum may have been going through some stuff. It's hard to be a parent, we dont get a manual for it! I got hit with the belt and stuff, but I dont hold a grudge as I know my parents love me and they didnt know better and they had lots going on
Sounds ok to me, though I suspect some white British people will see it as abuse.
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds ok to me, though I suspect some white British people will see it as abuse.

Racist much ? Or is it just me who thinks this?

I'm white, just not white British.

Tbh you’re right.
im white british and this does seem like abuse to me, however my friends who have been raised differently would see this is normal.

This is the kind of parent my mum would hate to be. She’s African and she would never condone this at all.
Original post by Jesscruzx
The volume inside this bus

looool
I am not going to have kids.

Not necessarily. In White British culture nlwadays, hitting a form of child abuse and looked down upon and are more lax in discipline (if you get me), whilst in other cultures (Asian communities, African etc) slapping is seen as acceptable form of discipline.
Reply 12
Sounds like your mum may have been going through some stuff. It's hard to be a parent, we dont get a manual for it! I got hit with the belt and stuff, but I dont hold a grudge as I know my parents love me and they didnt know better and they had lots going on

I'm sorry you got hit with a belt as a kid, although you were used to it, it still must have been horrible. I know that my parents (especially my mum) did have issues going on, but she only told me a few years ago, when she had stopped treating me like that, so I didn't understand why at the time. I hope that it still does not happen to you.
My parents did much worse to me so yes, I am not particularly shocked.
I am entitled to my opinion. I don't think shouting and slapping constitutes to abuse.

Just you
It sounds like it was being done for discipline. The example that OP gave of them calling their teacher a name sounds like something worthy of being disciplined for.
I hate that such abusive behaviour is normalised in the asian community.
Original post by d.harley
Growing up, my mum would shout and slap me a lot. One time when I was about nine, I called a teacher by a different name as a joke (it was not offensive in any way) and she told me off mildly. I told my mum what I did, and she started shouting at me, telling me that the teacher would be crying at home for me bullying her. She was hitting me and told me she was going to call the police for my behaviour.
On other occasions, she has additionally taken all my possessions out of my room and told me I don't own anything anymore, and packed my clothes into a suitcase and driven me down the road, telling me she would take me to the juvenile correctional rehabilitation facility a few minutes away.
I grew up thinking I was very badly behaved, yet my dad tells me that I caused very few problems.
My mum would later apologise for her actions and tell me that other mums do the same thing to their kids, so I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks.

Well, She must have been going through her own problems.
My parents did something similar... I was whipped with a wire by my dad on a bare back... I had just come out from the bathroom.

My mom would beat me with whatever she grabs hold of.. so i remember her throwing knife on me.

Dad beat me with a pipe, I felt my bones fractured but thank goodness.

Some beatings were so powerful that I would faint.

Dad kicked me out and I spent nights on the pavement but I never hold any grudges or hate or will hate them for what they did.
I know after all, somewhere they loved me.

Today, many years later, I left home for higher studies and they just find it difficult to live without me.
They get excited when they speak to me... anxiously wait for my calls and panic if 2 days passed without my calls or any message.
Reply 19
Well, She must have been going through her own problems.
My parents did something similar... I was whipped with a wire by my dad on a bare back... I had just come out from the bathroom.

My mom would beat me with whatever she grabs hold of.. so i remember her throwing knife on me.

Dad beat me with a pipe, I felt my bones fractured but thank goodness.

Some beatings were so powerful that I would faint.

Dad kicked me out and I spent nights on the pavement but I never hold any grudges or hate or will hate them for what they did.
I know after all, somewhere they loved me.

Today, many years later, I left home for higher studies and they just find it difficult to live without me.
They get excited when they speak to me... anxiously wait for my calls and panic if 2 days passed without my calls or any message.

Wow, I am so sorry you have been through this... must be horrible, thinking of you, hope it has improved since then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending