Did my mum treat me badly growing up?

Watch
d.harley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Growing up, my mum would shout and slap me a lot. One time when I was about nine, I called a teacher by a different name as a joke (it was not offensive in any way) and she told me off mildly. I told my mum what I did, and she started shouting at me, telling me that the teacher would be crying at home for me bullying her. She was hitting me and told me she was going to call the police for my behaviour.
On other occasions, she has additionally taken all my possessions out of my room and told me I don't own anything anymore, and packed my clothes into a suitcase and driven me down the road, telling me she would take me to the juvenile correctional rehabilitation facility a few minutes away.
I grew up thinking I was very badly behaved, yet my dad tells me that I caused very few problems.
My mum would later apologise for her actions and tell me that other mums do the same thing to their kids, so I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks.
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your mother sounds abusive. Slapping you for no reason, and driving you off to the curb and pretending she was sending you off somewhere? That is not normal behavior at all. Then to make up excuses saying that 'all parents treat their kids this way'? Toxic.
Im sorry to hear that you were treated like this :console:
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im gonna be honest, my mum screams at me a lot (still), i find it normal because in my culture the parents are super strict and hit their kids so it seems normal to me but probably not for other people.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Sounds like your mum may have been going through some stuff. It's hard to be a parent, we dont get a manual for it! I got hit with the belt and stuff, but I dont hold a grudge as I know my parents love me and they didnt know better and they had lots going on
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Sounds ok to me, though I suspect some white British people will see it as abuse.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sounds ok to me, though I suspect some white British people will see it as abuse.
Racist much ? Or is it just me who thinks this?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm white, just not white British.
BlueLeopard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tbh you’re right.
im white british and this does seem like abuse to me, however my friends who have been raised differently would see this is normal.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by d.harley)
Growing up, my mum would shout and slap me a lot. One time when I was about nine, I called a teacher by a different name as a joke (it was not offensive in any way) and she told me off mildly. I told my mum what I did, and she started shouting at me, telling me that the teacher would be crying at home for me bullying her. She was hitting me and told me she was going to call the police for my behaviour.
On other occasions, she has additionally taken all my possessions out of my room and told me I don't own anything anymore, and packed my clothes into a suitcase and driven me down the road, telling me she would take me to the juvenile correctional rehabilitation facility a few minutes away.
I grew up thinking I was very badly behaved, yet my dad tells me that I caused very few problems.
My mum would later apologise for her actions and tell me that other mums do the same thing to their kids, so I was wondering if that was the case. Thanks.
Abusive mothers do the same to their kids yes
Jesscruzx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rxyaltyx)
im gonna be honest, my mum screams at me a lot (still), i find it normal because in my culture the parents are super strict and hit their kids so it seems normal to me but probably not for other people.
The volume inside this bus
TheStarboy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is the kind of parent my mum would hate to be. She’s African and she would never condone this at all.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So you'll treat your kids like this?
rxyaltyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jesscruzx)
The volume inside this bus
looool
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
So you'll treat your kids like this?
I am not going to have kids.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am not going to have kids.
Probably the right decision if you think the behaviour OP described is ok tbh
itscourtchicks
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not necessarily. In White British culture nlwadays, hitting a form of child abuse and looked down upon and are more lax in discipline (if you get me), whilst in other cultures (Asian communities, African etc) slapping is seen as acceptable form of discipline.
d.harley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Sounds like your mum may have been going through some stuff. It's hard to be a parent, we dont get a manual for it! I got hit with the belt and stuff, but I dont hold a grudge as I know my parents love me and they didnt know better and they had lots going on
I'm sorry you got hit with a belt as a kid, although you were used to it, it still must have been horrible. I know that my parents (especially my mum) did have issues going on, but she only told me a few years ago, when she had stopped treating me like that, so I didn't understand why at the time. I hope that it still does not happen to you.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Probably the right decision if you think the behaviour OP described is ok tbh
My parents did much worse to me so yes, I am not particularly shocked.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is abuse., but I’m not shocked. I got treated similar to you. I’m Asian though
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My parents did much worse to me so yes, I am not particularly shocked.
And my dad beat me senseless several times during my youth doesn't mean I consider the abuse of children to any degree as ok and acceptable because 'hey, I had it worse'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads