The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by godknows
which hall has a better view ?? lambert or weston hall ? and I really need a room which has good lighting :frown: or I will go under depression ¬.¬

OMG NEVER THOUGHT CHOOSING ACCOMMODATION WILL BE SO HARD FOR MANCHESTER... for UEA it took me 5 mins and was so simple.. manchester is so complicated

It just depends where you are. Lambert is a slightly taller building which would give you more chance of sunlight, I guess. Contact the accommodation office to discuss your needs or write about your depression as part of the application under 'disability'. The accommodation office are likely to know what rooms are better for lighting.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2121
Original post by ellakrystina
It just depends where you are. Lambert is a slightly taller building which would give you more chance of sunlight, I guess. Contact the accommodation office to discuss your needs or write about your depression as part of the application under 'disability'. The accommodation office are likely to know what rooms are better for lighting.

I know this might sound stupid but can you put winter blues as one of the medical conditions when applying for the accommodation ?
I know this might sound stupid but can you put winter blues as one of the medical conditions when applying for the accommodation ?

Seasonal affective disorder exists as a medical condition, so yes. However, you could just get a UV lamp.
okay so im likely to choose lamber&fairlfield and also weston, but which is better between Richmond Park and Victoria Hall? any benefits or negatives of either?? :smile:
Reply 2124
Original post by taylorg292
I really wanted Fallowfield but I did select the 'campus is important to me' option so I don't know if that changes anything. If you're at manchester now which of your choices did you end up with?

Sorry, applying for this year!
Reply 2125
Oak House or Owens Park?
I'm the party type so want somewhere which is loud and has a great social life :smile: Owen's Park is more expensive, but is catered right? is it worth the £119 a week?
Self catered or catered is basically what i'm asking :smile: advice would be appreciated xox
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by croasdaj
Oak House or Owens Park?
I'm the party type so want somewhere which is loud and has a great social life :smile: Owen's Park is more expensive, but is catered right? is it worth the £119 a week?

OH and OP are pretty much the same, except OP is catered and has the appearance of a council estate from the outside, and - in the case of Tower - on the inside too.

I'd go for self-catered for a number of reasons
- catered only gives you 10 meals a week breakfast and dinner on weekdays only.
- the kitchens where you have to cook your other 11 meals a week are tiny, overcrowded and substandard
- I've heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the food
it ties you down to specific mealtimes, so if you miss dinner then that's it, you've lost your meal. Ditto if you have a lie in and miss breakfast.
- you'll have to go self-catered in second year when you move into a shared house, so it's best to learn in first year
- catered works out more expensive it's £27 per week for 10 meals, whereas I can feed myself all week (and eat well) for £20-25.
Hey guys .. I would be studying pharmacy and want my accommodation to be as close to stopford building as possible... I narrowed it down to these 3 accommodations :

SAINT GABRIELS HALL
weston hall
LAMBERT AND FAIRFIELD HALL

Are they good choices?
I need it to be ensuite .. catered / self catered doesn't really matter

and also should hav single sex areas .. any sort of advice would be much appreciated guys!!!

If you're looking for the quieter hall between lambert and fairfield, i'd say lambert because fairfield has a bar, which is very well used, in my opinion. Not sure if they have single sex flats, but I think they would because Weston is self-catered just like lambert and fairfield, but there are some flats which are all girls/ all guys so I'm sure if you request it, you shouldn't have a problem with that.

However the quietest hall out of all of those you have mentioned in North Campus is Weston.
Thanks for the reply, your pictures helped so much :smile:). Hmmm... Grosvenor place seems pretty good haha
This thread is no longer mainly about ducks.

This saddens me.
Original post by theultimateplu

This saddens me.

*emerges from the bunker she previously retreated to in fear of the ducks, blinks a few times in the light, and looks around for ducks. She then realises that there aren't many around at the moment because so many people are sunbathing*

I think we're safe . . . for now . . .
Hi all! I'd like to ask for opinions from students with experience (or at least have heard anything from other people) about uni halls in Manchester.

1. Is Victoria Park generally as safe and quiet as most people make it out to be?
2. I really want a place that is spacey since I'm a bit scared of being stuck in tiny spaces. Any recommendations for spacey rooms and environment (preferably in Victoria Park)?
3. I would love to have my own bathroom because I'm more sensitive to privacy and hygiene issues and don't want to worry about having to queue. Is the extra ~30 pounds per week worth it for getting one? Also, are shared bathrooms generally super clean/clean/manageable/dirty?
4. I'm more inclined towards being self-catered (since I don't eat large portions and want to save money), but I don't mind going for catered as long as the food is okay (nutritious) and worth the money I pay for it (~30 pounds for 10 meals per week). My question is, how much do students generally spend on food if they are self-catered? Will they really save a lot compared to those who are taking the catering option?

Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Happymelon
Hi all! I'd like to ask for opinions from students with experience (or at least have heard anything from other people) about uni halls in Manchester.

1. Is Victoria Park generally as safe and quiet as most people make it out to be?
- Yes, generally. As I've said in other posts, there's no nightclubs/takeaways really in Victoria Park so residents have to travel out to go out which makes it quiet. It's less of a student hotspot than Fallowfield so in terms of burglaries etc there is less crime.

2. I really want a place that is spacey since I'm a bit scared of being stuck in tiny spaces. Any recommendations for spacey rooms and environment (preferably in Victoria Park)?
- You're not going to find many spacey rooms. Burkhardt house had far the biggest room and ensuite I'd seen (check: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellakrystina/sets/). Catered halls (in particular, Ashburne Hall) have VERY big rooms and pretty grounds. Grosvenor Place (share bathroom) has decent sized rooms and a window seat.

3. I would love to have my own bathroom because I'm more sensitive to privacy and hygiene issues and don't want to worry about having to queue. Is the extra ~30 pounds per week worth it for getting one? Also, are shared bathrooms generally super clean/clean/manageable/dirty?
- I share a bathroom in Oak House (8 people, 4 people to a bathroom) and I've never had to queue. Even in large halls where you have 10 people to a bathroom there is always at least one toilet between five, so it's no more than you would have to share with your family. Shared bathrooms are cleaned twice a week and they will always be someone who will buy bathroom spray etc. With a shared bathroom you also get supplied with toilet paper, whereas you must supply your own and clean your bathroom with an ensuite.

4. I'm more inclined towards being self-catered (since I don't eat large portions and want to save money), but I don't mind going for catered as long as the food is okay (nutritious) and worth the money I pay for it (~30 pounds for 10 meals per week). My question is, how much do students generally spend on food if they are self-catered? Will they really save a lot compared to those who are taking the catering option?
- Self catered I spend about £20 a week (although sometimes up to £30 when I've run out of basics - rice, pasta etc). With most catered halls you will still have to spend money on your weekend meals and lunch. And if you miss mealtimes you've lost out on that money. You get set mealtimes which can really restrict you - especially if you do sports, society stuff, go out etc. Even just arranging a spontaneous trip shopping with friends or a study session after uni can get in the way of mealtimes.

Thank you!

^^
Original post by Origami Bullets
*emerges from the bunker she previously retreated to in fear of the ducks, blinks a few times in the light, and looks around for ducks. She then realises that there aren't many around at the moment because so many people are sunbathing*

I think we're safe . . . for now . . .

This saddens me.

They're all flapping about in the reading room in Carill House. I thought I told you guys this?!
(edited 11 years ago)
They're all flapping about in the reading room in Carill House. I thought I told you guys this?!

WHAT?

Makes me glad I'm far away in London til next week. Oh so very glad.
WHAT?

Makes me glad I'm far away in London til next week. Oh so very glad.

Erm, when did you last check on them? Because I didn't see any when I went to collect my post earlier today :s-smilie:
Original post by Origami Bullets
Erm, when did you last check on them? Because I didn't see any when I went to collect my post earlier today :s-smilie:

Hmm, did you smell roast duck in there at all? It gets pretty hot in those reading rooms...
Hmm, did you smell roast duck in there at all? It gets pretty hot in those reading rooms...

Looks like the ducks have finally quacked it.

Reply 2138
hey guys, i really cant decide on halls! so pleeeease help!!

I'm definitely putting richmond park and sheavyn as first and second choice..
but cant decide on the third..

I'd love to be in fallowfield, cos i want to be somewhere really sociable and fun! but i do want ensuite, and self-catered!

so thinking about city campus, or victoria.. but cant decide!! i've heard that they're both really quiet, and i really want to be somewhere lively.. so if anyone could advise me which would be best, that'd be amazing!!
Original post by Sammyx
hey guys, i really cant decide on halls! so pleeeease help!!

I'm definitely putting richmond park and sheavyn as first and second choice..
but cant decide on the third..

I'd love to be in fallowfield, cos i want to be somewhere really sociable and fun! but i do want ensuite, and self-catered!

so thinking about city campus, or victoria.. but cant decide!! i've heard that they're both really quiet, and i really want to be somewhere lively.. so if anyone could advise me which would be best, that'd be amazing!!

I had exactly the same problem, but i didn't want to not have fallowfield and wanted ensuite! So decided to go for woolton hall ensuite as my 3rd option, as i wasn't too bothered about the fact its catered, except for the fact its really expensive lol. I guess whatever way you go you have to decide whats the 2 most important things out of location, ensuite or self catered and that should help you decide:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending