The Student Room Group

Placement Year

Hi, I previously asked on FB about whether I would qualify for finance or a travel grant if I did an industrial placement abroad. The response i got was:

"Hi Rachael, placements abroad are assessed as placement not study & therefore will not be awarded the abroad rate of Maintenance Loan. However if you are a student attending a placement at a University/College abroad you will be entitled to the same package of support to those students studying at a University/college abroad. Your course provider should advise that you are entitled to the travel grant."

But I've since read other things which imply I actually would qualify for help, so could you please help clear this up for me?

The placement would be assessed and it would make up my 3rd year of study along with some distance learning, and after returning from the placement I would do my masters year (MSci course) rather than my 3rd year. However it is unlikely that it would be an Erasmus placement as my top 3 choices are all outside of Europe.

If I still don't qualify I'd be grateful for any recommendations you might have on how I could get financial support! A year without pay and SFE would definitely be tough otherwise. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by RachaelBee
Hi, I previously asked on FB about whether I would qualify for finance or a travel grant if I did an industrial placement abroad. The response i got was:

"Hi Rachael, placements abroad are assessed as placement not study & therefore will not be awarded the abroad rate of Maintenance Loan. However if you are a student attending a placement at a University/College abroad you will be entitled to the same package of support to those students studying at a University/college abroad. Your course provider should advise that you are entitled to the travel grant."

But I've since read other things which imply I actually would qualify for help, so could you please help clear this up for me?

The placement would be assessed and it would make up my 3rd year of study along with some distance learning, and after returning from the placement I would do my masters year (MSci course) rather than my 3rd year. However it is unlikely that it would be an Erasmus placement as my top 3 choices are all outside of Europe.

If I still don't qualify I'd be grateful for any recommendations you might have on how I could get financial support! A year without pay and SFE would definitely be tough otherwise. Thanks! :smile:

Hi RachaelBee

The information you have been given is correct, placements abroad are assessed as placement not study & therefore will not be awarded the abroad rate of Maintenance Loan. However if you are attending a placement at a university abroad you will be entitled to the same package of support to those students studying at a university abroad.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi RachaelBee

The information you have been given is correct, placements abroad are assessed as placement not study & therefore will not be awarded the abroad rate of Maintenance Loan. However if you are attending a placement at a university abroad you will be entitled to the same package of support to those students studying at a university abroad.

Thanks Rona

Hi,

So even though I'd be attending a University for unpaid work (which my top choices are) rather than as a student in lectures etc I'd still qualify for support? If so that's super useful to know, thank you!

Rachael

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending